Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Live Axle or IRS

jrcasey

I think this probably isn't the best place to ask Jon, because most owners here have the Caterham 7 and not the Westfield car.

I wrote an article about Caterham vs Westfield once, and it does contain some information about the subject you are talking about.

it is here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~v11ufo/WestfieldvsCaterham.htm

It is only my opinion, obviously.

Good article - most helpful. Thanks.

I am definitively a Westfield man coz of the looks and price. IRS is looking much more preferable because of rough road handling (Bristish roads are not improving) and resale (up grade) benefits.

I have £7.5 - 8k and am looking... Does the time of year affect prices on this type of car?

I think the Westfield is better looking because it has a more modern style (curvaceous) and the head lights do not look like that have been stuck on as an after though.

Noger - I have no dog and no white stick. By the way, what kind of name is Noger? But, yes I have now got a better answer elsewhere.

I think the Westfield IRS is excellent - I wish Caterham had done a similar set up. When I had the choice between De Dion and Live Axle when I bought my Caterham chassis kit I preferred the Live route mainly as a result of the substantial weight saving and lack of road use.

Home of BDR700

try here

http://wscc.ggr.net/cgi-bin/BB/ikonboard.cgi

or if you can't get in try here

http://www.wscc.co.uk, then link through the (free) registration process.

Then do a search for at least the last 12 months (this topic covered previously) if you don't at least have a stab at searching then blatters (blatman) WILL Flame you - immediately prior to giving you all the links you need/want!

Join the WSCC whilst you are there & you may want to join L7CGB too as at the moment the piccy's in the L7CGB mag - low flying - are better than those in the WSCC mag....! even if they do airbrush Westies out of the photos sometimes . 😳 !

Also, look in the WSCC areas section, find your local meeting, get along and ask around, should be easy enough to find someone with IRS and someone with Liveaxle - then go out in the passenger seat and hang on........

You may want to consider Bike Engine power especially if you're going to do more trackdays & other options than just the normal blade/bird/busa selection ( £1500 for a complete new 155 BHP -- either Yamaha or Kawasaki can't remember which - Bike Engine inc everything to make it run, but obviously not enough to install it!)

If budget really is a big problem, investigate with Westfield the new single donor car kit (all Sierra donor parts hence has IRS) I hear this is the cheapest option at present

Oh, and join the campaign to have Caterham written as is on the WSCC rather than still as C******m, which is blimming silly.

TA!

Warren

Oh sorry, missed the bit about the budget......

if you buy second had look on findit.com as well as here:-

http://wscc.ggr.net/cgi-bin/BB/ikonboard.cgi?s=3e157110059effff;act=SF;f=9

If you're lucky then in Winter that money should get you (in Car Engine versions) a slightly tired looking 1.8 or 2.0 Zetec car converted normally from a X-flow or similar, or a slightly tired looking 2.0 Vauxhall power - ask which is better at your peril........done a few times!

8-9K will get you a good looking one of the above, or maybe an original Zetec power.

1.8 Zetec versus 2.0 Zetec just depends on exactly how fast you want to be ultimately, 155BHP vs 165BHP in relatively "normal" states of tune. Just check out whether Cat or no Cat (Q plate and no Cat would be my preference!) & side exit exhaust not rear exit on the Zetec's

Getting one built on a standard tunnel (type 9 5 speed gearbox) chassis gives you more foot room than the MT75 gearbox chassis. so, you pays your money ....etc

You're also edging on Westfield MegaBlade territory there too

TA!

Warren

*thumbup*

Just don't buy that CVH .The CVH is an engine & just that. It's agricultural & does not respond well to tuning. It'll do the job of pulling you around but that is about it. If you applied the same logic to cars then you'd be buying a Daewoo Matiz not a Westfield. VX, Zetec or X-flow are all signicantly better options.