Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A021R to be discontinued!

Drumster

I've run 888 for years now and think they are great I've only got a 1600 supersport K but only ever found them brilliant . Yes not as good as 21's in the very wet but I've driven them in poor conditions and they were OK. Better in the damp as well I would say. Where they do come into there own is when its dry , simply stunning grip , not as progrssive as 048rs but better then 021s.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Area Representative

I'll carry on using them until advised otherwise. No need to panic with at least a year to go.

The sad part is that as all other cars get heavier and thus the tyres are designed for these lard-buckets with stiffer walls and harder compounds, there will be much less choice for our light-weight nimble cars.

The sad part is that as all other cars get heavier and thus the tyres are designed for these lard-buckets with stiffer walls and harder compounds, there will be much less choice for our light-weight nimble cars.

Interestingly, the sidewall on the Rainexperts I have just bought are a lot softer than those on my a021r tyres.

Duncan

I've got 145/R13 RainExperts on my old Pug 106 XT and they grip very well in wet and dry - most impressed.  Especailly they allow me to usemomentum in my 1100cc 23 yr old Pug with more more confidence in wet road grip around some nice twisty roads than a lot of other cars.

Bri

My Uniroyal Rain Expert experience is also on a Pug... 306 Diesel (non turbo) 68hp.

There is one bend near my house where that car has the fastest cornering speed of my fleet. Due to combo of susoension handling bumpy surface and camber, visibility, ability to ride grass verge on exit if it should happen to run wide (!) and, oh yes, the tyres :)

Dbl return) Peter

I asked Polley Motorsport and Yokohama UK and got quick and helpful answers, respectively:

• The AO21R will still be legal for use after 2015 if you already have them, what I mean by this is current stock and any tyres you have will still be road legal but new stock from Japan will be rebranded for competition use only.
  • After 1st November 2014 the current A021R range will not meet the latest EU legislation regulation requirements [R117], however it is still ok to supply the tyres if the production date is before 01/11/14. The tyres will also still be ok to use on normal roads.

Production of A021R after 01/11/14 will be in a modified form, with different sidewall markings and will be supplied only for racing/competition use.

​I then asked Yokohama if they could tell me which part of R117 caused the problem but haven't heard back.

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

Currently on my 3rd set of AO21 185/70/R13. Been very happy with them and speedo is correct for 3.9 diff and 6 speed box. Currently got diff out to fit Titan and wonder if I should change to 3.62 to allow fitment of 185/60/R13's. George Polley site used to have revs/mile info but has now been redesigned and this detrail is no longer available.

What are thoughts on alternatives to what I have in 70 aspect or changing diff ratio and 60's. Really enjoy the current diff ratio/revs/tyre size combo. 

I don't think 888s are really a direct replacement for 21s. I was one of the very first to adopt 888s (having been given the heads-up of their release through a chat with the Toyo guys at the Autosport show) and used them for track and touring for years. Gave them up for 21s partly due to riding cost, partly as they didn't last long enough for some of the European touring - and partly because of their less-benign wet-weather characteristics.

I don't know what I will have to replace the 21s on my two sevens with next,  but I don't think 888s will figure high on the list.

John, I have dipswitches on the speedo but, from memory, there are only 2 suitable settings for our cars. Thanks for the table, reckon 70's must be doing 874 revs/mile.

Hi Myles, what diff ratio and aspect are you running on your Caterham?

Has anyone done back to back with Khumo's and AO21's?

On a similar note, having spoken to Steve at Avon recently he informed me that CR500's are being phased out over the next twelve months. 

He said there would be a replacement that should give the same characteristics but with improved longevity and should be slightly cheaper. 

• 2 months later...

I was out yesterday morning and it was a little bit wet and a little bit cold.  I have read many times about how useless the ZV3's are in the wet but until yesterday I hadn't appreciated just how useless they were.  So, having tried my best to avoid changing the tyres and throw away what appear to be good tyres with plenty of tread, I now accept I need to change them.  Unfortunatly the obvious A021 route looks to be a non starter.  So the question is what should I be looking for.  

I pretty much use the car on the road 100% of the time.  I will try and do a track day here and there but don't have plans to do anymore than learn to drive the car. I have 14" wheels and would like to keep them as I visually like the wheel to tyre to car ratios.

From reading all the other posts including this one then Uniroyal rain experts get a mention, I have also seen some Dunlop's and other tyres mentioned.  I found on Demon Tweaks the following http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/tyres-2/nankang-sportnex-ns-2r-tyre However it is described as 'extra load soft compound'.  From what others have said, the weight of our cars is the issue as most tyres are designed for 1T to 1.5T cars and we are around 0.5T.  So would an extra load tyre be a case of heading off in the wrong direction?  i.e. it would be too stiff?

Apologies to post on a subject which has been discussed so many times before.  At the moment I am just thinking of putting the uniroyal rain experts on and seeing what happens.  They can't be any worse than the ZV3's.

Andrew

I've got a set of the Rain Experts fitted to my Seven now, but I'm off the road until the salt goes, so I can't report back yet.

I bought them after this thread on Pistonheads: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1330523

and a friend who has a different kit fitte them and we drove all round the Peaks and Wales in pouring rain and he said he thought they were great.

My feeling is that pretty much any tyre is ok in warm dry conditions although not as grippy as softer tyres like the 21, but in cold wet conditions a specific rain tyre is going to be a better bet even if it is made of harder rubber. As I said above, I was surprised how much softer the sidewalls were on Rain Experts compared with 21s, so there is bound to less accuracy on track but hopefully a better ride on road *smile*

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I had my first chance to take my Seven out this morning on the Rain Expert tyres.

It was cold but dry, and I had to take it fairly easy as the tyres and brake pads are new.

So far my impressions are of improved ride which definitely helped stability on the bumpy ridged roads at Beachy Head. Steering felt nice and I didn't have any hairy moments despite swapping from a021Rs which must have a lot more grip.

So for the road, I'm very happy so far, and I plan to give them a work out at Dunsfold next if I can get a place booked  *hehe*

Duncan

AndrewB, we've done the last 12,000 or so miles on one set of Yokohama S-Drive; ours are 15" but I see they do also come in 185/55R14, if that's your size?

I confess there's a set of CR500s in the garage waiting to go on the car next (they were available cheap!!) but for road use they've provided plenty enough performance across the full range of moisture levels. And they've lasted 12,000+ miles, so no complaints at all.

When they do start to slide (which I've only managed occasionally and under significant provocation) they're progressive and predictable.

I managed to reserve the 2 A021s I need, the next delivery from Yokohama due in the next few days are the last E marked ones we will see, so after this lot I'll have to chance to something else. Yoko A539's have had a good report from others. Does anyone know if these are also likely to be non E rated?