Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Driving without Registration

William Hindmarch

Hi

My car is with Caterham having it's IVA done (taking forever) but should be back next week.  It then takes 3 weeks to get registered.  I noticed Daniel French in his blog drove for 14 days without a registration .....    http://www.caterhamr500.co.uk/2014/05/back-from-spray-shop.html

Does anyone else know if this is ok, as desperate to get behind the wheel!!

thanks

Will

From that linked article:

The registration paperwork was sent off to the DVLA on the 6th or 7th of May, which would mean it's been with them for around two weeks now... I spoke to them (the DVLA) a few days ago and it transpires that as I already have a number plate - R500 WOT (WOT=wide open throttle) that provided I can prove the documentation was delivered to the DVLA by way of signed for recorded delivery from Royal Mail I'd actually have a 14 day grace period to use the vehicle WITHOUT the need for a V5 or tax disc, however, if the paperwork isn't back with me after the 14 day grace period expires I'd have to stop using the vehicle.  
The point I'm trying to make is that any future builders that don't want to wait to drive their cars once the IVA has been approved, should purchase a private plate in advance and then can use their cars as soon as they can prove the documentation has been received by the DVLA - amazing, but true!

Are you in exactly the same position?

Jonathan

Provided I had insurance I would go for it. Whats to stop you ? It`s not as if the car is suddenly going to be registered to someone else or its going to turn into anything else.

Its your car , its insured , its got a number plate , its legal ( iva wise ) and it will be taxed. So what if it takes a couple of weeks for the details to get on the dvla computer - especially if the sun is out !!!

With a self built car totally legal to drive to your pre arranged IVA inspection and home again without a reg number allocated or displayed, Unless the examiner states the car is unsafe. But as DVLA has chassis number on IVA request form and you have insured the car on the chassis number all ok and legal

I went through the same dilemma

This is a grey area of the law and as the DVLA say you shouldn't do it I took the view it wasn't woth the risk . You have to ask yourself if an insurer would look for a technicality to avoid paying out in the event of a claim .

If the BIB stopped you because your number plate didn't register on ANPR would you really have a strong defence .

My car took weeks and weeks to register but I waited .