Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD problem?

Julian Thompson

2002 SLR.

On each side of the diff there are notched rings around the driveshaft output. These are numbered/lettered and I assume they refer to some kind of setting, probably the much talked of "preload" which I don't profess to know anything whatsover about.

These notched rings are held in place by a little gold coloured plate with a torx screw securing it.

On my car the LHS plate has "slipped" allowing the notched ring on the diff to move round by as far as the slot in the gold plate would allow. I can see how far it has moved because where the plate was clamped originally by the screw there is no waxoyl.

I presumed it would be a good idea to turn the notched ring back to where it was and so I tried a gentle tap with a hammer. Didn't budge and I was nervous about smacking it one since I don't know anything about what I am about to hit!!

Could someone enlighten me please!

Thanks.

Hi Julian.

FWIW I think you have done the right thing by doing nothing too drastic. You are probably correct in thinking these items set the Diff. pre-load. Just to be on the safe side, it might be best if you give the factory a call. It's bad news if it's too tight or too loose *confused*

Cheers,

Tony

Waiting for my BRG SV kit 😬 Is there any other colour?

(Sumo Version?) - Only another 10 weeks to go!

I have built one of these diff units (see web site) and find it hard to believe the bearing case has moved, however if it has and if it was my car and the diff was as quiet as it ever had been I would make sure the locking rings are fixed properly and LEAVE IT ALONE!

For information the bearing housings are nipped in then tightened on the diff side approximately a full 4-5 teeth. the effect of this is to stretch the entire diff housing and provide the correct bearing preload.

I noticed that prior and post pre loading, the backlash on my diff changed by only about 0.05mm I would guess that the fraction of a tooth movement you describe amounts to two parts of bugger all in terms of backlash variation

The Ford tollerance is rated at between 0.10 and 0.17mm thats quite a variation and not one you could acheive by such a slight movement in the housing

If it had become noisey I would wory about it, if not forget it

Hope that helps!

Steve.

See My Zetec Power 7 Here

Thanks for this - I do appreciate your advice on it.

The diff is no noisier than before, and I only noticed it because I was doing a "rag spanner" check!

I think I'll take your advice Steve and just lock it up again. I was concerned that it might have created some kind of left to right imbalance if you see what I mean - only because I didn't know anything about it!

Jue