Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ohhh dear - looks like its gone pop !!

Jason Plato

I have always maintained the attitude that the 1600 will go pop one day running at the level it is . Well its happened , but thankfully its out of season and not whilst taking the Gooseneck !! and absolutly no further damage has occured to the rest of the engine .

Upon stripping the little 1600 K engine for a checkover , It appears that that I have a split liner on number 1 cylinder , where it butts up to number 2 . I thank my lucky stars that this has been found before it resulted in a complete failier *smile* .

The liners were new 6 K miles ago as standard rover parts - as also used in R500 . Dave Andrews informs me that the the latest Rover liners are of German manufacture and of a better quality .

So now its decision time as to where I go from here , clearly the bottom end or at least the one cylinder , needs a rebuild which is not a problem as I enjoy doing all that . But I'm thinking that maybe I should beef it up whilst I'm there and see what does lay beyond the self imposed 7900 rpm limit *tongue*

As I already have a spare new VHPD head - which Rob Walker is once again currently working his magic ( and dremel ) on , I am considering selling the previous K16 head to partially fund the bottom end upgrade . *If* it were to go then we would have to discuss the what parts go with it as all the cams , springs followers etc *could* be carried over to the new head .

Brief spec - head is K16 ported by Rob walker and Serdi machined by Nick Stagg , using REC 29.5 mm & 26mm valves , new valve stem seals 3K miles ago , double springs , steel caps , VVC converted solid followers , 1227 cams , piper veriers . Power ( using accralite pistons , std exhaust , emerald and Jenveys )is 210bhp @ 7950 / 149lb at Emerald .

I could even fit it for you if you wished ......

Please ring to discuss options and make an offer - 01633 893929

or try the mobile 07771 891947 - during offie hours only - crap signal in the house .

If you get the answer machine leave a number and I'll call back ASAP .

Regards

Dave