Click here if you are having website access problems ×

TechTalk being hidden

Dr Slotter

• Area Representative

What's the current visibility of TechTalk, please?

(Titles of Guides are shown to non-Members, but the full body isn't.)

Thanks

Jonathan

A fair few years ago, when the proposals were invited for the integration of our multiple sites into the properly integrated one were just that, the specification for TechTalk was that it would be partially visible.  Much as a search engine shows something of the answers; allowing a searcher to understand something of what lies beyond.

However this was not possible, so the only options available were fully visible or fully hidden.

For the guides, hinting at what wonders are available to members is available. Members do need some privileges.

This has been the situation since the (no longer so very) new website was launched.

• Area Representative

A Caterham owner, non member friend of mine mentioned that he's seen a trend of members sending a private mail in answer to technical queries. I haven't really noticed this, but I'll take his word for it.

It seems to defeat the object of Tech Talk.

1) to an extent yes, yes it does.  But that is a member's perogative.

2) May be your friend might wish to join. Then they could see the guides and receive PMs from other members.

I think the club is very open and generous in the way it conducts itself in general.  That this friend makes considerable use of BlatChat demonstrates that our reach is well beyond our membership and that they trawl TechTalk shows how valuable this resource is.  See a separate discussion about whether it should be open to all.

A Caterham owner, none member friend of mine mentioned that he's seen a trend of members sending a private mail in answer to technical queries. I haven't really noticed this, but I'll take his word for it.

I do that occasionally, and I know the reasons why. Would it be possible for you to ask him his, please?

It seems to defeat the object of Tech Talk.

Yes.

Thanks

Jonathan

• Area Representative

I haven't tried it but when we were talking at a recent Bear 7s club meet about the club's For Sale webpages, they mentioned that you can still send a PM to a member even even as a non member, which is helpful to members as they can potentially sell their items to more people than just members.

Maybe IF this is true, it explains why PM's are also sent frequently re Tech enquiries as it would mean that non members could get direct one-to-one advice from a member.

• Area Representative

I haven't tried it but when we were talking at a recent Bear 7s club meet about the club's For Sale webpages, they mentioned that you can still send a PM to a member even even as a non member, which is helpful to members as they can potentially sell their items to more people than just members.

Maybe IF this is true, it explains why PM's are also sent frequently re Tech enquiries as it would mean that non members could get direct one-to-one advice from a member.

Jonathan,  my friend just queried that he thought it was better if everyone could see the answer to technical question. As I understand it, as a non member he can't post questions and answers. He thinks the forum is a great source of knowledge. I understand that it's up to the person replying how they answer and they may, like you have a valid reason.                                                                                                                  He also has an Elise and uses the SELOC  forum and hadn't noticed the same trend. It wasn't a criticism,  just an observation. 

Stewart 

Yes. And there's more on that specific point and how that function could be developed here.

Jonathan