Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow tickover hunting

Sootysevener

Hope someone can relieve me of my confusion!. I have a 1989 S3 1700 Xflow which keeps hunting at tickover. When I bought the car it was running on NGK 8 plugs which were too colld given the limited time the car spends with plugs at self cleaning temperature - I live on Guernsey so road space is limited and with a 35mph speed limit and granite hedges on narrow roads. Ive made numerous changes

Plugs changed to 7s then 6s

Lumenition kit and coil fitted

Magnecor leads

40DCOEs professionally set up and balanced

The car runs like a dream with clean plugs - still manages sub 5.5 secs to 60 but the tickover set to 800 rpm hunts upto 1500 revs and varies 1300/1500 when up to normal temp.

The camshaft was replaced with a fast road cam just before I bought it as it had suffered the perrenial problem of scuffing a lobe on No 4

All in all I now don't know what the problem could be - Any ideas?

David

This is often caused by poor carburettor set up, both balance and idle mixture. As a very rough (and unscientific) rule of thumb, an engine with well set up carbs will not slow down when the fan kicks in, but if things aren't right in this area the extra load on the alternator is often sufficient to slow the engine by 100 - 200rpm.