Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2000cc K series engine from Judd

Jason Plato

Dont know if anyone else saw the little notice on the Judd stand at Autosport show - Judd will soon be releasing a 2000cc k series engine . When questioned , they were releasing very few details , but it was confirmed that *both* the bore and stroke would be increased from 1800cc , I suggested this my be done by using a single liner setup from a company such as Perfect Bore ? = wry smile . They confirmed that a bespoke crank design is being used . They claim 250 bhp ++ .

No other details could be gained , they were very tight lipped .

I'm not too sure how this would work out - I can imagine the rod angle being far from ideal , and the engine feeling very coarse ????

Any thoughts 🤔

Dave

I think some are missing the point of a 2 l K - Mr Phillips ??. Yes I agree 125bhp / litre is not ground breaking and yes undoubtably Judd will make a good job of it .

My point was that when you consider the design of the K the rod angle is already far from optimum on the 1800 , so increasing the stroke *could* make this worse . Also the block would have to have some serious machine work to enable a larger bore . This will be an interesting piece of development . I for one would be keen to see how they achieve it .

Dave

Dave,

You can get close to 2 litre by using liners with an oversized OD which are then siamesed together, this gives scope for a 3mm or so increase in bore, a monobloc liner would be even better. The block would need machining in the lower (dry) and upper (wet) loacting areas and the liners would need to be fitted perfectly.

On the stroke side, as you say the rod ratio/angle is already pretty fraught.. a shorter rod / longer stroke would certainly make it a site worse, you might also have problems with the pistons protruding from the bottom of the bore a little causing some rattle/slap especially on a cold engine.

Oily

Had an interesting conversation with PC and JJ about this. PC proposed that, with the Duratec engine on show, a 2l K seems a tad pointless. I had to agree, although the max power quoted from a 2.3l Duratec from Minster remains low (by comparison) at 230bhp.

We were, however, interested in the monobloc liners for an 1800cc K for "improving strength" purposes. Depending on price, these could be the answer for many perceived K weaknesses.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours