Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pull-to-unlock Toggle Switches

Tony C

If anybody is interested, I've discovered a source of Pull-to-unlock toggle switches.

These are aircraft quality parts and are NOT cheap.

The Pull-to-unlock toggle lever prevents accidental operation of the switch.

There are two switches that might be of interest: one is a two position, single pole; it locks in both the ON and OFF position, so might be ideal as a replacement for the standard key ignition to compliment the "Big Red" Start Button that' so popular.

The other is a three position, double pole; it locks in an extreme position giving OFF for both circuits and also locks in the centre (one circuit ON the other OFF) position. The third position is momentary, at which it maintains the one circuit ON and switches the other ON too - when you let go it will spring back to the centre locked position and maintain the first circuit ON. This means that it could be used as a complete replacement for the standard key ignition and start switch.

Both switches are rated 20 amps at 28 VDC.

You can see the .pdf spec. sheet here

The first switch is GBP 22.77 and the second is GBP 29.33, both take 6 to 8 weeks to be delivered. P & P is additional.

I'm not suggesting a bulk purchase. As they are aircraft parts, it would be necessary to buy 1000's to get a discount.

I'll be ordering one of the single pole switches next week and would be willing to order others at the same time if required - please feel free to e-mail me.

There is a photo of a dash panel using these types of switch on Page 69 of Jan 2003 CCC (IGN switch), if my description is poor.

I can assure averybody that I do not have a switch fetish - these are just really good kit.

Regards

Tony

Waiting for my BRG SV kit 😬 Is there any other colour?

(Sumo Version?) - Only another 10 weeks to go!

Not sure I'd want to "lock" the ignition on. I have an aero style ignition switch to go with the push button starter. The nice thing about the aero flap is that it's spring loaded and you can quickly flick the switch down to kill the engine. This is easily done by either the driver or a marshall in the event you needed it. It's still fine for normal use of course, but I wouldn't want to think the switch to cut the engine was at all locked iyswim.