Click here if you are having website access problems ×

No Ignition Circuit

Help

Took the car for a run to Goodwood yesterday, the car ran fine with no problems what so ever and enjoyed a great drive.

Returned home, connected the trickle charger and put the cover on (yes the car lives outside)

Went to use the car today, turned on the battery master switch and nothing.

I have checked out the master switch using the LC7 fitting instructions as a guide and I have 12.96 volts at the respective terminals when the switch is on the OFF and ON position, and a earth connection from the resistor

That is the extent of my knowledge on these modern cars.

The car is a 1996 1.4 Limited Edition (130HP) with six speed box, No 11, maybe it should be 13.

The car is fitted with a Stack ST 700

Red Starter Button

Flip Type Ignition Switch (Ignition Lock and switch removed in 2002 as were the above fitted)

Am I missing something dead basic, I look forward to those who are the font of all knowledge to find me a solution.

All was not lost how-ever as my trusted 50 year old MGB rallied to the call

Cheers

Gordon

Quoting Erngor: 
Went to use the car today, turned on the battery master switch and nothing.

I have checked out the master switch using the LC7 fitting instructions as a guide and I have 12.96 volts at the respective terminals when the switch is on the OFF and ON position, and a earth connection from the resistor

It didn't start... but did anything electrical work? Ignition light? Lights? Fuel pump?

Jonathan

Hi Johnathan

It was not a case of the car not starting I had no ignition at all no ignition light, dead as a Dodo.

With the battery master switch on I have lights, horn, 4 way flashers

Thanks

Gordon

Hmmm...

Bad ECU or bad connection between that fuse and the ECU or bad earth somewhere that affects ignition but not lights?

Where does the ECU get its earth? Check the engine earths.

Is there a convenient connector close to the ECU that you could open to check what's getting to it. We'd need a pin diagram for that to work.

Jonathan

you say you have 4-way flashers; by that do you mean hazards?. Do the indicators work normally when the ignition is on? Likewise, the brake lights and any other ignition switch activated ancillaries, wipers etc. If the answer is no, then it would suggest a wire off the ignition switch or the switch itself. If you have the flip toggle ignition switch, you may still have the key operated steering column switch in circuit (mine is). Are you sure it hasn't been switched off or a wire fallen off?

Do you have a Vecta immobiliser fitted as they can go faulty.

Johnathan

I will check out the earth systems tomorrow. Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the 96 k series, the build manual starts at 2001, also what type of ECU is fitted and what are these pin diagrams.

Cheers

Gordon

Hi Pual

Yes I meant Hazard Flashers.I can't check the other circuits because I cant get the ignition on.

Yes it has an immobiser but this would not prevent the ignition comming on only starting.

There is no old ignition switch left in circuit.

I can see this is going to turn into my worst nightmare.

Cheers

Gordon

Jonathan

What do you mean re your 19.27 post and ignition and warning light if immobiliser set, or inertia switched tripped.

I have checked the trip and it seems ok.

Cheers

Gordon

Can any member advise me how the red starter button and flip on/off ignition switch would have been wired into the circuits following the removal of the steering lock ignition switch.

May help me in sorting out my problem.

Cheers

Gordon

My question re the other circuits was to see whether some ignition switch controlled functions were still working,even if the starter wouldn't work. It seems that they don't so either the switch is faulty, a fuse has blown or a wire has fallen off.

Have you checked that all the wires are attached to the ignition switch, which I assume is mounted on the dash? If you don't want to feel behind the dash or don't want to hang upside down to look, use a smart phone in 'selfie' mode or take some pictures underneath to look for unconnected wires.

As the only thing you appear to have done is connect the charger, how is it connected? Crock leads on the battery? Via a cigar lighter socket? Is it possible you might have 'flashed' something when you connected the charger and blown a fuse?

Thanks Paul and Oldbutnotslow

Charger is hard wired to battery and has never been an issue.

I will check out all connections under the dash tomorrow and report back.

I am sure things might be clearer if when I turned on the FIA switch the ingition light came on?

It just seems bloody odd that one moment all is fine and now this still it got me home before being a problem.

Cheers

Gordon

Cheers

Gordon