Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Golf GTI Mk2 16V fuel pressure / swirl pot

AMMO

I have been given a neat plastic swirl pot / fuel pump from a 16V Golf. The engine was missing from the car but I think these are mechanical fuel injection rather then electronic. No pressure regulator so I can't check what fuel pressures these run. I am hoping to use this box and pump for my Zetec fuel injection conversion. The fuel pump is a Bosch 0580 254021 on the body but has 0580 254033 on the sticker. I cannot cross-reference the pump with the Weber manuals I have. My usual contacts are all at the Autosport show. The pump is pretty big. Bigger than the 4 bar pumps I usually use. Anyone got any info that may be of use?

If this conversion works then the swirlpot / pump problem for people converting from carbs to injection could be quite easily resolved. You would still need a low pressure pump to fill the swirl pot, which is what VW do via a submersible pump in the main tank.

If useable I want to get stuck in and fit it this weekend. Thanks in advance for any help.

AMMO

Digging out the WS Manual from my old 16v MK 2 it says that the fuel pressure is 4.7 to 5.4 bar, however the general description for the MK 2 does not describe an in tank pump with secondary HPpump/Swirl pot, what vintage is it?

Why can't you stick a gauge on it Ammo? I have one if it helps

I have also been looking into In-Tank Swirl Pot dimentions during odd idle moments and so far Ive dug up bugger all, still it could be worse.....you could be losing sleep over the possibility of a VVC head skim swinging your Cam Timing as pointed out by some smart arse AND THEN WHERE WOULD YOU BE!

Steve.

See My Zetec Power 7 Here

Thanks Steve

That's the info I wanted. If I run it 3 to 4 bar it should be really under-stressed. I had a feeling it would be quite high pressure. The car was "F" reg. So a few years old now (only a year older than my Caterham!). I have a fuel pressure gauge but didn't want to go to the trouble to rig it up with a regulator / fuel etc.

I was given a fuel pump from another VW Golf a few years ago which is similar to the 4 bar pumps I use on bikes. It may be interesting to research other VW pump / swirl pots to see if there is something even more suitable.

There's a project for you Steve.

AMMO

Ammo

Had 2 8V GTI's in the past, the C reg was K Jetronic mechanical injection and had a lift pump in the tank that pumped fuel to a HP pump in the rear beam area, only know this due to problems I had. The F reg was Digifant (electronic) and since I had no problems I have no idea where the pump/pumps were but would it be that different? Hope that may help.

Paul