Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow 5 speed conversion

Hi all please can anyone help I have a 1985 S3 1700 Xflow supersprint with a 4 speed box and would love to change it to a 5 speed one

I have been told its possible and that it is not possible to do

Has anyone done this and is there a kit available from anywhere?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Paul

It's possible, you need a bell housing a spacer between bell and gearbox, the gearbox itself and a new prop shaft. Also you will need to make a new support for the gearbox. It's just a plate that bolts to the existing support and brings the fixing more forward ( or was it rearward ) the hole in the tunnel for the gearlever should be at about the same place. And last you will need a angle drive and new cable for the speedo.

Hi

Definitely possible, I have done it and it is relatively easy. if you look at previous posts there is a member who used to sell a fabrication kit with donation to nuke the luke. You need the kit which effectively moves the mounting of the gearbox. you will also need to shorten the propshaft. And thats it nothing else needed, although you may need new clutch, but cant remember.

The fabrication kit is riveted in place so its quite easy, Blat mail me if you want to discuss.

However, are you sure you want to go the type 9 route, if you only use it on the road then I agree. If you use it for sport ie sprints, hill climb then stick with the 4 speed and invest in a quaiffe diff

Nick

OK it was Brent Chiswick who used to sell the kit, have found this:

http://www.lotussevenclub.com/NuketheLeuk/tabid/110/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/130/Nuke-the-Leuk-2008--Lap-3.aspx

You will also need angle drive for type 9 to speedo, it may also be useful to cut hole in tunnel so you can access the angle drive. You will also need to recalibrate speedo

Quoting inbraceuk: 
Hi all please can anyone help I have a 1985 S3 1700 Xflow supersprint with a 4 speed box and would love to change it to a 5 speed one

I have been told its possible and that it is not possible to do

Has anyone done this and is there a kit available from anywhere?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Paul

BM me and I'll send you the details of the swap that I did.

Elie pretty much had it covered, but don't forget the little bits like a new gearstick, gearknox, gaiter etc. I'd also recommend the BGH box and the Ali bell housing.

There are downsides to the type 9 box to consider, which are more weight, worse shift quality, worse stick location, worse 2nd gear ratio and more heat through the tunnel.

If your 1985 chassis has the tube between the pedal box and passenger footbox you will need to remove it.

You may also find the bell housing fouls the pedal box.

The info about the gear stick position might be true of some cars, in mine I have about 6mm clearance from the back of the gearbox extension housing and the bridge which carries the 4 speed gear lever, and so I made a short remote, similar to the one used for the 4 speed, as I didn't like the forward reach for a gear change, could send a picture if you Blatmail me.

If you have the cash a BGH 'box is definitely an improvement over the standard cogbox, better ratios and shift action, go longer 1st 2nd, shorter 5th. Angle speedo drive is a modifiedVw part

A capri clutch cable, release arm and bearing, sierra b/h, and don't forget the friction plate needs to have a 1" 23 spline? And only be the same size as the one fitted now, available from CC or Redline.

Tons of info here, and on the wider Web community.

Speedo calibration is by the speedo drive gear out the side of the extension housing, you need to know your diff ratio and tyre size, there are two gears available for the output shaft and 4 for the driven output gear, if you have a standard 3 . 6 4 diff you will need a 22 tooth driven gear, Ford number 1546878, yellow plastic.

Have fun, really a good move, especially if you do any boring motorway driving.

Regards, Nigel.

Seriously, Why would you want to change gearbox?  The 4 speed is one of the best boxes I have ever had.  The throw is short, positive and a joy.  Whereas the type 9 has a long throw and isn't very positive.  The standard ratios for 1 and 2 are useless.  I just had mine rebuilt with good 1st and 2nd gears and it still isn't a patch on my 4 speeder.  The other downside is that it is heavier.  

Clearly the main benefit is to get a longer top gear which is great on the motorway.  But who buys a 7 to mainly do motorway miles?  Not me!  I suppose the other benefit of the type 9 is the extra revs/power/torque that it can take.

If it wasn't for the cost and the power limitation I would convert back to a 4 speeder any day.  It is a much better box.

I know that I am not following the crowd with this opinion, but it my view FWIW.