Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Self-clearing visor

Graeme Smith

Aeroscreen users-

I treated my visor with Rain-X, but it doesn't seem to work very well (well, at all really). Eventually looking at the instructions, they say "don't use on plastics"... Does anyone know of a product they allows rain to run off plastic visors. Its a bit of a cheat asking here as its for my motorbike.

(BTW I put a Fog City strip on the inside of my visor, and it works a treat at stopping misting - except I forgot about my glasses...)

Err...........in an effort to try and help then........I use Mr Sheen on my visors (and I do <20,000 miles a year on 2 wheels). It makes the water bead up just like you would expect. When it all gets too wet, at anything over 20mph I just turn my head left to right slowly a couple of times, and the water runs away. Keeping the visor clean by using soapy water and a soft cloth also helps with water clearing, and visor longevity. You could also use (if you dont already) a pair of gloves that have suede on the index finger for that sort of thing. They do get too wet pretty quickly though.

I got some turquoise gunk at the Autosport show last year. It doesn't work quite as well as the demo, but it is bl**dy good. It came in a jar about the size of a film canister and I've used about a tenth of it all year. Best of all you can use it on your glasses. It stops misting and rain runs off it.

No connection, just money well spent.

It is a pain in the *rse if you use tear-offs though, as it gets in between the layers. I guess you aren't using tear-offs on your bike though, eh ?

Davebo

C7 CAR

I've just Rain-Xed my windscreen and have found it very good, no real need to use the wipers except for drizzle (proper rain drops just slide off).

Only thing is when I use the washer jets to clear dirt the fluid shoots up the screen and over the top into my face.....

I was intending to use it on my glasses but read the small print just in time...

One thing that really gets on my nerves is when the person in front uses their washers and you end up covered in foul smelling chemicals. B*****ds....

So no help on the visor bit but can recommend rain-X for the windscreen. I assume that the stuff for anti fog on visors can be used on the plastic windows in doors / hood? Heated screen is great but can't reach rear windows with harness on...

Piers

Hmm... Maybe I'm not using the Rain-X correctly. I follow the instructions about applying it twice then flicking some water on, then polishing it. Should I just be squirting it on and giving it a quick rub?

Davebo - turbo visor - no, thanks! I take enough stick for riding a 'moped'.