Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1900 K-series reliability

Kal-El

So my recent foray in Caterham ownership has come to an abrupt pause whilst my car is off the road due to what we suspect to be a serious bottom end failure. Since I was planning some upgrades anyway (VVC head, cams, TB's)I thought this might be a good opportunity to address the bottom end strength.

I figured if I am to replace the pistons and liners, why not consider a 1900cc upgrade. Roger at Sabre Heads is near to completing his own 1900 engine and I am very tempted. However a number of tuners / users have commented that the 1900 engines suffer from reliability issues. (Not sure what these are). Just wanted some more opinions on whether I should go the 1900 route, or stick with the tried and tested forged omega piston in the std liners, replace the bearings (lead copper?) and leave it at that.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

My Scholar 1900 has now covered about 10k miles since I installed it about 8 years ago - this has been a mix of track and road use, so it's been used "properly"!

The only issue I've had in that time is that the front oil gallery broke through resulting in oil in the water - this happened after about 1000 miles and is (now) a known problem. I sleeved the oilway since when all has been fine.

Probably jinxed it now!

Dave

• Leadership Team

As mentioned in the PH thread, you need to differentiate between any problems caused by it being 1900 and other issues that could affect a highly tuned K-Series. Mine is one of the "early" Scholar 1900's (referred to by Oily) and has given absolutely no cause for concern as far as being 1900.

In late 2010, I lost oil pressure on track resulting in the engine needing a rebuild .... serious bottom end failure due to scavenge pump issues, but not related to it being 1900. Coincidentally this happened to another 2 SLR's (that I know of) within 6 months of mine, both are 1800cc. After stripping the engine the pistons and liners still looked perfect *thumbup*

If a knowledgeable engine builder (such as DVA) arranges a 1900 for you then it will be right. Whether you go for 1800 or 1900, you must pay attention to the oil system, the Caterham dry sump install is marginal on scavenge for a big power K-Series so will need to be in perfect condition.

Stu.