Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Eu3 coil-bolt torque? And gritty vibration source?

Myles

Anyone know what the recommended torque is for the in-head coil bolts on an eu3 k-series? Not sure where my Haynes has got to....

Mine have loosened twice recently - I swapped the coils and hand-tightened them out of laziness...

...more to the point, they are possibly coming loose partly as a result of a kind of 'gritty' vibration the engine is exhibiting. It's a kind of mirror-wobbler - low amplitude, plenty of energy (you can feel it throughout the car), not specific to any given load, rev-range etc. - it's always there...

Engine seems to pull fine - only thing I can think of checking next is to see whether the bearings on the alternator are ok (it's almost new in mileage terms - just a few hundred miles - works perfectly, electrically though).

Hmmm!?!?

Thanks. I don't think I've ever used a torque wrench on these either (partly as I didn't have one that went that low until a year or two back).

As to the vibration (that I presume is the cause of them loosening), I think I'll try removing the alternator belt, checking for any obvious bearing issues - and then firing it up with the alternator disconnected as a starting point. Not sure what else I can easily do at this point...(?)