Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering rack & fuel tanks

kjp

Two quick questions

1) I have a bent track rod, where can I buy steering rack spares and rebuild bits (It was a big impact there may be quite a lot of internal damage)?

2) What is the normal route to getting a large capacity fuel tank, buy dispraportionatly expensive Caterham option, buy from someone else or manufacure your own from a normal tank?

Thanks in advance

Ken Pendlebury

I have a 72 litre tank which has been made by welding together two standard tanks (one above the other). Fits in fine and still has limited boot space left (De-Dion chassis) almost as much as the live axle boot.

Standard fuel guage would only work on the first 36 litres though *confused*

what are these bag tanks i see on email, BC that some folks are fitting 🤔 are they just for safety or are they also larger tanks then steve 🤔 i would suspect that different suspension setup would be required then with a larger tank, as more weight is further back in the car.

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

Edited by - w1scb on 10 Jan 2003 14:27:17

The bag tanks are for safety. They cost a bomb about 5 times more than the ali tank and when I looked at them had a limited life span. Forget the change out frequency but it is something like 3 or 5 years. They could be spec'd bigger for the loss of boot space (who cares for racing)

or smaller for sprint races. There will be off the shelf ones to fit 7's. A custom made one will probably cost even more.

I have the ali tank and crash protection kit. It will help some but not something pointed like a sticky outy towing eye being rammed through.

You would have to set the car up a little differently for ultimate speed with a bigger tank I guess but compromise as the fuel load lightened. I think 7's are pretty forgiving in this dept and you can probably learn to drive around this just a F1 drivers of old did starting off with some 220lts of fuel and going faster as the fuel load lighten and then slowing a bit as they adjusted to the tyres wearing out.... they were the days eh?!

The extra fuel would not be as heavy as a passenger but it would be all out at the back.

Good for traction. Def a full tank for wet running for example *smile*

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 11 Jan 2003 15:08:19