Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Not waving my banner.

Pete

Yesterday I needed to re-chage the battery on the Se7en. It is the standard Banner type 530 and after charging I picked it up by holding the two ends of the battery. The ends depressed inwards slightly under my grip and the battery shot acid over my left hand. *thumbdown*

On taking a close look I noticed that there is a hole in each end of the battery, close to the top. One has a plug in it but the other one does not and it was from this hole that the acid was expelled.

Can anyone tell me whether this is normal or should there be a plug in each hole. As the open hole is on the earth side of the battery, hard right hand cornering might cause the acid to surge out of the hole. This could bring a new dimension to track days this year as my car slowly dissolves around me. ☹️

Many thanks in advance

pete

Thanks Mark.

What you say makes sense as there are no vent holes in the top of the battery, as found on other types.

I've had the car from new and it has never had an overflow pipe fitted to the battery. I suppose that the hole has been there all the time but I had not noticed it before. At least it is a relief to know that the battery is not defective.

Now that I do know about it, I will have to be careful not to over fill the battery when topping up with distilled water.

Many thanks

pete