Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Loton - entry refund....

guitarguy

I was told by fellow competitors at Curbs 2 that I was on the reserve list for Loton (no 21) - no mention/communication from the organisers (my own fault, entry sent close to closing date - hadn't realised this one filled up so quick !). When I emailed them and queried it and was told I stood little chance, I then sent a reply requesting a withdrawal as I had to make other plans. A little later I was surprised to see that both cheques (entry and camping) had been cashed despite not having a confirmed entry.... I had been promised my money back if I didn't get an entry but was just expecting the cheques to be returned.. I have since made a couple of emails asking for a prompt refund but answers are all a bit vague.

Is this normal?? Unfortunately until I get that £145 back I can't really afford to enter Anglesey... which I'm probably gonna miss too at this rate... (oh, the joys of running on a budget!). Isn't that a bit naughty?? 25 reserves at £145 a pop - that's a lot of dosh sitting in someone's bank account for a good few weeks....

Feels a bit wrong to me...

As far as I know it's not normal to cash cheques on an event for a competitor who has not been successful with an entry.

However please remember these events are run by volunteers and mistakes happen, however I would not have thought it difficult to issue a refund cheque (unless of course it's a dual signature cheque and the second signer goes on holiday as happened at one club i was involved with) however I know that HDLCC have been slow with refunds in the past.

I assume that you have been corresponding with the entries secretary ?

Without decending to being abusive, I'd email and request a full refund within 7 days as you were not accepted to the event, and you need the refund in order to enter the final round as with not getting accepted to Loton will have an impact on your novice championship.

Good Luck but don't despair.

Thanks Chris, yes I appreciate these things are run by volunteers and things do slip through the net. Wasn't meaning to suggest anything untoward Nigel - all just a bit frustrating.... My original communications were originally directed to the the entries secretary, but as she has been on holiday (possibly part of the problem), they've been picked up by Martyn S the club sec - who I've been having the exchange with (cc'ed to both though).

Oh, in fact just (this second) had an email from Claire to say she will contact the club treasurer and she will get back to me.. so progress is being made. Looks like they are on to it...

Thanks for your thoughts people....

No Andy, nothing yet - and until I get it back there is no way I can afford Anglesey..... as I"m all a bit overspent! Wrong time of year for me - income down, expenses up and all that! (I suppose trying to keep moving on the garage build to stick the car in hasn't helped either...!)

You doing both now?? Shame if I can't do it/them - especially as we've done our homework.... (I was hoping a little experience on the track there might help pull up my batting average a little.) ☹️

At least you've got it back Richard - hopefully mine may arrive soon then....

Oh, no - take that back! Still no cheque or further response despite two further emails.... (sent to both Claire the event sec and Martyn the club sec). The last one really laid out (again!) the urgency (re your points Chris) with a polite 'would appreciate it by the end of the week if at all possible'. It would appear that I am now being blanked....!! (What am I supposed to do now? - just wait it out I suppose! Personally, I find that a bit rude.... and rather frustrating).

On the plus side (a somewhat more helpful) John at LDMC tells me places are still available at Anglesey... and I can email the completed form to get on the list and follow in the post with cheque etc. (buys me a few more days). Think I'm gonna try and go for it, as I've got this far... bit of a shame not too (sailing a bit close to the wind - just hope they don't take too long....)

Sorry - rant over.... *smile*

Oh thanks Matthew - appreciate that! (not your fault though mate, you don't need to apologise on their behalf). I was thinking about trying to find a number and ringing, but (as a newbie) I didn't want to come over too pushy - especially in case this was kind of normal. Now that it appears I'm not the only one effected, thinking about it, maybe something in a slightly more 'official' capacity may help a little... Lets see. Thanks again...

You're not the only people to have had refund issues. There has been a similar thread on Uphill Racers (the hill climb and sprint forum) complaining about HDLCC. The event organiser is new and maybe these issues will be resolved in time.

Keep at it though. I want to see you at Anglesey!

Oli

That's interesting Oli - had a quick look but couldn't find it. Which bit of the forum is it under.....??

Just had an email reply from Martyn S (club sec)....

To summarise: .... on holiday in france, understands frustration, can't do anything til 29th Sept when he gets back and they have club committee meeting! Claire has been 'chasing refund cheques with no success'. Then a fairly patronising explanation (beginning with 'you are obviously new to motorsport...') as to why they have to cash cheques whether or not you are going to get an entry... 'attempting to recover money from a dishonoured cheque is expensive and time consuming'.... (mmm 'expensive and time consuming?' - that sounds familiar). Obviously slightly miffed that had the cheek to question why a cheque was cashed knowing that there was little chance I would get an entry. That is all very well, and I don't really have a problem with that - providing you have a swift and efficient system for honouring refunds! Oh and I now have to email him on the morning of the 29th to ensure I'm top of the list.... (should I really have to do that?!?)

This is not really a very good state of affairs in this day and age is it - I think they need to get their act sorted...

I got this response at 16:24.

Hi James

I have chased the treasurer again and have been informed that they will be with me over the next couple of days. I will post out to you as soon as I am receipt.

Kind regards

Claire Halliburton

Entries Secretary

Mixed messages......

James,

I believe Matthew has dropped Claire an email on our behalf which is really good of him - no response yet as I understand it. Could you let us know if/when you get anything back? - good to see if any progress is being made... (hopefully an indicator of mine being on it's way too all being well). I'll do the same. Cheers Mark

PS. Took the plunge - Anglesey entry in! *smile*