Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heater valve question

Stationary M25 Traveller

Fresh air heater on 2002 k-series.

Silly question time .... does it matter which hose goes to which spigot on valve ... or will it work either way ?

I have just changed hoses over ... to get bleed tee in top hose from water rail ... to top spigot on diverter valve. Made filling and bleeding easy.

Now heater matrix stays hot with valve closed.

So .... either it does matter ..... or valve is leaking past when closed ?

Does it look from the outside as if you are getting full travel on the valve?

Lots of reports in the archives of some leakage through the valve even when it's "closed". Are you sure that it wasn't hot when closed before you reversed them?

The direction shouldn't matter, but here's another example where it was said to.

Suggestion that you can use one off an old Golf.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 7 Sep 2014 08:39:49

Suggestion that you can use one off an old Golf.

From what I can see the Golf ones are just a simple ON/OFF. I don't know about other engines and how their cooling systems work but a word of warning for anyone with a K Series; if you install one of these, when you switch the heater off you will block the bypass flow to the thermostat; this will kill the operation of the cooling system (in the same way that an airlock in the heater kills it) and on a K Series that doesn't tolerate overheating, this may rapidly lead to destroying the engine. You need a valve that diverts water through the heater when ON and sends it through a bypass when OFF.