Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil leak help! Selby, North Yorkshire

Juju

Ok I am due a Croft on Sunday and it is the first race meeting for me since joining the club. Sod's law; I unavoidably hit some metal debris (in the rear view mirror it looked like an alternator or the like) in the road yesterday. just been to the Seven tqo tinker and have noticed that it seems to have damaged the sump with oil dripping therefrom. Any ideas for a quick repair so it is roadworthy for Sunday?

Edited by - Juju on 5 Sep 2014 19:42:54

I don't have any stands yet. The drip seems to be emanating from an edge of the sump just near the drain plug. I can tighten the plug to see if that does it but it would be odd surely if a bump from some debris loosened the plug?

Ok it is deffo not the drain plug. There is seemingly a minute split in the lowest seam on the bottom of the sump. The oil leak is a steady drip per minute or so. Looks like a spot weld required. Bugger! I might just wing it on a Sunday with big oil reserve! I Really want to be there!

Edited by - Juju on 5 Sep 2014 20:24:09

Update; there is a tiny split in the bottom of the sump casing which I have patch repaired for now with plastic metal (if ever there was an oxymoron...). I'll get a proper repair done ASAP.

Thanks for the help y'all.

J

Edited by - Juju on 6 Sep 2014 12:58:57

Hi Juju, sounds like you have the twin of my x flow sump, re-arranged when I clouted a large rock in the road, bent and split the sump close to the drain plug, and got a dent in the driver side floor. ☹️

Dropped the sump the next weekend and some heavy hammering and a bit of work with an hydraulic press realigned the pan, well more more like it should be, then a bit of weld along the crack and it's all sorted, that was several years back now, no leaks from the drain plug area, who mentioned other places?

Good old pressed steel sheet, beat it into shape, or, back into shape, very forgiving stuff. *smile*

Nigel.

Quoting Gregs79: 
Juju, sorry only just seen your PM. Are you still heading up to croft today? If so I will see you up there and we can have a chat about your car axle stands etc

Dom - sorry I missed this post. I did make it to Croft today with my botched repair. It held out too. I didn't see you though which is a shame.