Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement Tyres

My CR500s are becoming time expired and need replacing. As I live in the southwest of Scotland I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to a suitable replacement as the CR500s can be a bit sporty on the cold damp roads here. Tyre size is 195/45 15 fitted to a 7 SV Roadsport 1600 125 bhp.

I'd say CR500s are perhaps a bit OTT for your car (having used them extensively when I had my 1.6k Caterham a decade ago).

A number of the se7ens.net tourers (myself included) use Yokohama A021s as they are great in the wet (being a control tyre in at least one race series) and they provide good grip in the dry (not to CR500 levels) and wear.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to come in 15 inch sizes....

...but I'm in S Queensferry and have several sets of spare 13 inch rims (in various conditions) - maybe now is your time to change down to the ideal rim size for sevens.... *wink*

Many of us who have 15's have moved over to Toyo T1R's (I did so a few years ago on my previous S3 k-series). I liked them and have not heard anyone who has swapped complain about them.

However, I'm guessing we don't get the temperatures in the South that you will see in Scotland but I found them very good and predictable in the wet.

Might be worth a look as they're only around £50 a corner.

I've just done 2300+ miles in Scotland on 15" T1R's on a 1.6kss with no problems.

I run mine at 16psi cold.

With the lower profile of the 15" I haven't found the tyre wall stiffness is an issue.

They don't have quite the same dry grip as CR500's, but are better in standing water.

R1R's may well be better in the dry, but the shallower tread pattern would suggest they aren't as good as T1R's in the wet. Haven't tried them yet though so may be convinced.

I've been reading a lot of threads about the R1R this week, and I'm very tempted to go with them as my next tyre.

I've only ever driven on CR500s, which I'll be keeping on my 13" wheels, but I'm fed up of the 15" versions cracking. I'd be using the 15's mostly for touring and perhaps the occasional trackday.

I've found the CR500s great in the wet and I most tyres don't seem to have the same wet performance. But from what I've read, the R1R are just as good, and seem to have great dry grip too!

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Quoting FramerateUK: 
I'd be using the 15's mostly for touring and perhaps the occasional trackday.
Are they suitable for tracks?

Jonathan

Looking at that thread, that was at Llandow - which is notoriously hard on tyres. I've ruined many tyres there, and have had the problems mentioned on CR500 and on Pilot Sport 2s on my Megane. The track is brutal on the front left!