Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Next question... oil pressure gauge

Driving home late last night I noticed the oil pressure gauge was almost at zero. The oil temp also dropped to 40 degrees.

I slowed down and stuck yo a steady 50mph just in case the engine seized.

This morning everything was all ok again. Oil level absolutely fine.

Does this seem like a problem. Could it be an intermittent fault with the two gauges?

Model is 2002 roadsport with SLR engine.

Dash is standard Caterham dash but with a switch to swap temp gauge between water temp and oil temp.

The senders for both the water temp and oil temp have recently been replaced.

My only other thought is it was very moist last night with due. Could the gauges have got damp and shorted in some way?

Quoting david oakes: 
Driving home late last night I noticed the oil pressure gauge was almost at zero. The oil temp also dropped to 40 degrees.
How familiar are you with the car? Are you sure that this was new behaviour?

I'd check the earth to the instruments and that the fuse is correctly seated. (I'd also check the connections to the three sensors and probably short each out and watch the gauges, but anything of that sort would need multiple simultaneous faults.)

Jonathan

A genuine drop in oil temperature will normally be associated with an INCREASE in measured oil pressure as the viscosity of the oil increases, increasing its resistance to flow. If both drop together it is more likely to be a problem with the gauges, e.g. an electrical supply or earth problem.

Unless of course your oil level is so low that the oil is barely circulating, in which case you would get almost no pressure and no oil around the sensor so a silly temperature reading - but that sounds i) very very unlikely, even if it could happen your engine would have gone bang by now and ii) easy to check on the dipstick!

Edited by - revilla on 3 Sep 2014 22:19:16