Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bent Wheels? - How and where to test?

I swapped my 15s for 13s, and ever since have had a constant vibration. Took the rear 7 inch ones to a tyre place to check the balance as you would, and asked him to spin them up before he checked the weights. As he did so the wheel/tyre rotation doesn't look 'round' indicating either a slight buckle in the wheel or the tyre.

The question is where can I take the wheels to have them checked for roundness or signs of buckling?

Alan

You can do a quick check that is much better than the Mk1 Eyeball by jacking the car up, taping a pencil to something fixed such as an axle stand, crate or piece of furniture and adjusting it so that the tip is against the rim, and spinning the wheel. I'd guess that would spot variation of less than 1mm.

(It's how bike wheels are trued.)

Jonathan

Sounds like you just did!

Really depend how far out they were moving because no wheel or tyre is 100% round.

With the wheel on the balancer you can hold a pointer against it and assess the eccentricity and side to side deviation.

The other questiin is whether the assembly will actually balance without piling 100s of weights on.

The tyre fitter/ balancer should have a pretty good eye/experience for what is ok/not, if he's worth his salt.

Peter

Been away for a few days.

Tested the rims, both exhibit same symptoms, on the inside of the rim there is a section, about 2 inches long where there is a 1 to 2 mm deviation.

Question is can they be fixed or are they scrap?

Alan,

Are these the rears? I would suspect you need the balance checked. A 1-2mm variance on a wheel should not be an issue especially on the rear. That could just be paint thickness :-). I have seen new rims with a bigger variation and certainly tyre variation can be greater than that.

Wheels can be straightened but I am not sure to what tolerance.

Not a seven but drove a car with a good half inch ding in the rim, it was well balanced and you could not feel a thing in the car.

Regards

Guy

Guy,

Yes its one set of the rears, I've put the other set on and they are much better, the dents or deflections if that's what to call them, are on the inner rim of both wheels , and as I said they cover about 2 to 3 inches , be just good to get them straight, if it's at all possible, that or find a set of 8 inch Superlites lol.

Is the deflection on the tyre bead, or just at the outer side?

If the bead is not true the wheel has possibly sustained some impact, if only on the outer rim side I wouldn't be too stressed by such a small deviation.

If you have bags of money, you could get some wheels machined from Billet stock, and of course you would have the only ones of that style / design.

Regards, Nigel.