Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Monte Cassino 2012 --> Prague 2014 [ended]

J.Smit

So sorry I had to disappoint so many club members who supported me with a generous donation for NtL in 2012 but pleasantly surprised by the positive reactions at the club’s forum to stick with the donations made.

Two years have passed since then and the legs start to itch again. Unfortunately I have not saved up enough personal leave days to do the Monte Cassino trip, so it has to be something manageable within a 3 week period. Not much choice, Denmark, Scotland and Ireland are not in the picture because of the greater change of poor weather, and most of France has been covered with previous trips.

With that in mind I have decided to do a return trip to Prague instead. I know, a 2400 km trip is not the same challenge as that Monte Cassino trip, but it will to do for the time being. And the Monte Cassino trip is not forgotten but needs to stay on the back burner for the time being. Not to waste an opportunity to raise more money for NtL I have meanwhile modified my exiting Justgiving page and changed the topic to Prague 2014. The word is out now and hope to raise a bit more cash for NtL with this short trip. Initially planned for August but just managed to sell my old house (after 1.5 years) and moved out last week (feeling a bit knackered now but never mind). Cycling trip to Prague is therefore moved to September 2014. 

• 1 month later...

I have meanwhile returned from my trip, after cycling 2515 km in 3 weeks, safe and sound on Sunday the 28th. September 

(and back at work on the 29th.). Tight bit of planning. Not a holiday I would plan again that late in the season: 
too wet, sunset around 19:00 hrs., cold nights, wet grass and empty campsites. Also a lot of B&B and hotels were 
already closed for the season at those moments I could do with a dry place to spend the night. Weather improved 
somewhat when I entered Czechoslovakia but roads and cycle paths got worse. Had to change plan and cancel destination
Prague. Simply not enough days available to do the return from Pilzen to Prague so went from Pilzen directly to 
Regensburg. Glad to left that country after a couple of days again and back to Germany to complete the last part 
of the trip And then the rain started again. 

Interesting trip, but would have preferred better weather conditions and couple of days extra to enjoy the ride more 
and even visit a museum or two.