Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Transmission Tunnel Top

I need to replace my tunnel top on my K series (central handbrake type), the mice have chewed the leather away around the handbake and gearlever.

The car is fitted with Tillet seats so these need to be removed, at least one, to get the rear section of the tunnel up from between the seats.

The issue is, the build manual says when fitting during build have the handbrake vertical, so I suppose some where along the line I need to disconnect the handbrake cable.

a) is this really necessary and if so how do I do it.

b) is there away round this problem without doing the above

Looking for guidance from those who have been faced with the same issue.

I notice that there is no slack in the tunnel length to slide it forward off the handbrake lever.

Cheers

Gordon

You can loosen off the handbrake cable - on the offside (driver's) at the rear where the cable exits the transmission tunnel there are two knurled adjusters. You use this adjuster to slacken the cable as per the assembly guide and this will allow you to lift the handbrake higher. You don't need it truly vertical and you don't need to disconnect it.

b) is there away round this problem without doing the above

Pull the handbrake on hard and see how far you can get it....it might be enough to get the tunnel off.

Charles

I unpicked the seam below the gear lever an stitched Velcro in its place. Removal and re-fitting of the top is then very easy.

Big tip for the nyloc nut removal for the tillets. Hacksaw screwdriver slots into the bolt ends before trying to undo them. Removal and replacement of the nyloc nuts becomes simple.

Thanks Charles and Titanium7

Sound advice I can now look forward to replacing my tunnel cover. I suppose it is easy when you know how.

Cheers

Gordon

Quoting Titanium7: 
Big tip for the nyloc nut removal for the tillets. Hacksaw screwdriver slots into the bolt ends before trying to undo them. Removal and replacement of the nyloc nuts becomes simple.
Is that because the bolt is free to turn, and doing it that way means you don't have to get to the head?

Thanks

Jonathan

• Area Representative

Quoting Erngor: 
I need to replace my tunnel top on my K series (central handbrake type), the mice have chewed the leather away around the handbake and gearlever

Do you need to replace it? These are expensive and Oxted can possibly repair at much less cost. give them a ring.