Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Rubber Engine Mounts

Hello Guys

I need to replace the engine mount rubbers on my 1996 K Series. The Caterham part number is BM 382FS and availability is not a problem, can anyone advise if these mounts are specific to Caterham if not where should I start looking.

Thanks

Gordon

Engine Mounting Rubbers

Manufacturer: Jaguar

Part Number: C18556

Original Application: Most Jaguar 6-Cylinder excluding XJ

Quinton Hazell Part No: EM382

Hint: Stick C18556 into an eBay search ...

Edited by - revilla on 26 Aug 2014 19:48:59

My car came with the Caterham ones, which my Duratec ripped through the RHS one in about 5K miles. LHS one fine. I bought some aftermarket ones labelled as being for Jaguar XKE, and again the one on RHS was ripped through about 5K miles later. LHS one still fine. I installed another XKE one, but with a B.F.W. (big washer - the "f" is silent) on the top of the rubber to simulate the effect of the Vibra-Technics design, and they are both fine with another 7-8K since the last change.

Quoting BBL: 
My car came with the Caterham ones, which my Duratec ripped through the RHS one in about 5K miles. LHS one fine. I bought some aftermarket ones labelled as being for Jaguar XKE, and again the one on RHS was ripped through about 5K miles later. LHS one still fine.
Any ideas why they should fail so quickly in your car?

Jonathan

Quoting myothercarsa2cv: 
Uprated ones are now also available from vibra technics - not sure if anyone has reviewed them though...

A few of us have been running these for a while. I think Paul Deslandes' car was used for some of the dev work. I've had both their engine and gearbox mounts on my track car for a few thousand track miles over the past couple of years with no issues. AVES did have a problem with the centre bolt/nut in his VX-engined 7, although I can't remember if this was resolved or not. He mentioned it somewhere in Chit Chat.

About to fit a dog bone mount modified with Vibra-Technics bits to my Skoda over the next few days.

I could look into an L7C group buy type thingy if there is enough interest? Maybe even a factory visit too. They have a set of car ramps and (to a simpleton like me) some awesome machinery and test rigs to make and measure mounts and bushes.

Hi Guys

I have ordered Jag Units and will see how they last. They look identical to the CC units but at £17.5 a pair all in it must be worth a try.

Cheers for all the info.

Gordon

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Any ideas why they should fail so quickly in your car?

Torque? Combined with maybe an overly sharp lower edge on the tube the large bolt passes through in the steel bracket?

I do find it curious that it is only the RHS one being torn, which is why I mention torque, but the BFW seems to have corrected the issue.

Quoting revilla: 
@BBL - For the record, can you recall the size of the BFW you used? I'm guessing some kind of thick ½" penny washer?

No - it was over 7,000 miles ago! - but I chose it by taking the large mounting bolt with me to the hardware store and looked for what is known here as a "fender washer"; the biggest O.D. steel one I could find with an I.D. that would fit the bolt. The purpose is to spread the load from the downward force of the RHS steel engine mount bracket across a greater surface area of the rubber engine mount.

I may be able to measure the O.D. of it without removing it, but I am just having lunch now in California. *wavey*

(Should have driven the 7 to work today and I could measure it right now, but I didn't wake up early enough to beat rush hour, so took the tin-top instead)

edit -- I used this engine mount manufactured by URO, which seems to be the common one available. They were $5 USD when I bought them, but have since gone way up in price! *smile*

Edited by - BBL on 27 Aug 2014 20:16:31