Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is it easy replacing the front upright?

Grubbster

This part?

It looks quite straightforward, I know I can get the top balljoint out OK (mines fitted with the Arnie rosejoint). Are there any nasties likely to cause me grief, e.g. removing the hub/bearing assembly? Not essential for me to do it but if it is easy then I might do so before Llandow trackday as a precaution but I'm also away next weekend so running out of time - and I haven't bought one yet *confused*

There's a mark on it that looks like a crack - I don't think it is, it's certainly been like it for many years and never changed so I've always assumed it's a casting mark or something like that. But it plays on my mind a bit, just in case it is really a crack so I was thinking of changing it anyway. I have new spherical bearings spare so that's not a problem.

Just been going through my build diary photo's from 2003 to see if I can make it out from any of those, but resolution isn't great. I have photo's from when I did the 14,000 mile service in 2007 and I think I can see it then so I'm probably worrying about nothing.

• 4 months later...