Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil change problem - POBC assistance required please...

I have got all the bits together to change the oil in my 1.8 VVC K series with apollo tank.

Looking through the archives, a 32mm spanner is required to hold the Apollo tank still whilst the rain plug is removed with a 10mm hex key.

All is well until I discover my Apollo tank doesn't have a 32mm hex on the base of the tank.

POBC - how do I get the drain plug out without damaging the Apollo tank please?

For reference, here is a photo looking side on at the bottom of the tank.

Edited by - Leebert on 23 Aug 2014 14:01:21

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

There's not enough material to hold on with water pump pliers.

Here is a link to a shot from the floor looking up. Looks like a machined threaded piece has been welded into the bottom of the tank. Excuse the poor mobile phone photo quality.

I guess I could release the jubilee clips and raise the Apollo tank as high as I can and drain as much as possible from the sump plug.

Cheers,

Lee

Edited by - Leebert on 23 Aug 2014 14:39:10

I came across this yesterday changing the oil on a car with an early apollo tank - I have only seen them before with, as you say, a 32mm hex on the base. The drain plug takes a 10mm hex but luckily it had not been over-tightened previously, and was easily undone.

Hopefully yours will undo easily. Just make sure the tank is held securely, prehaps with an assistant, whilst undoing the drain plug.

Quoting Wrightpayne: 
I never bothered with draining the Apollo - only a bit left in the bottom and prob more left in the engine!

Ian

I always find at least 2 litres of oil in the apollo, even when it has been standing for a period

As I had loosened the jubilee clips for the apollo already, I lifted it up with the oil filter removed and more oil came out (at a guess, 1L or so).

With the tank is back in and secured, I tried undoing it again with Mrs Leebert holding the top of the tank but I can't shift it.

Looking at my scrap oil tank I would say there is in excess of 5 litres in there so hopefully it's all out. I would have liked to clean the magnetic bit in the drain plug though.

Quoting Titanium7: 
Save yourself a lot of hassle and get one of the PELA 6l vacuum pumps and suck the oil out of the Apollo from the top. Also useful for the differential and gearbox oil removal if you ever want to replace the oil in them.

It's well worth having one of these to hand *thumbup*

New filter on and engine re-filled. It's been run up to temperature and I reckon it's taken just under 7 litres of oil.

The dipstick is a nightmare to read - with the engine running it looks about 3/4 full and with the engine just stopped it appears to go over full but I could be dipping it for too long maybe (a second or so).

Still, all done and no leaks visible at the moment. *thumbup*

Thanks for your help and for the heads up on the vacuum pump.

Put a fan heater on the plug for about 5 mins. It should help loosen it up. Don't apply too much pressure to the Apollo - it is easy to fracture the welds where the pipes go in/out. If the plug doesn't move, try a few taps on the spanner with a hammer to break the 'sticktion'.

Steve

Quoting Grubbster: 
Quoting Titanium7: 
Save yourself a lot of hassle and get one of the PELA 6l vacuum pumps and suck the oil out of the Apollo from the top. Also useful for the differential and gearbox oil removal if you ever want to replace the oil in them.

It's well worth having one of these to hand *thumbup*

another *thumbup* from me, and, although it recommends against, handy for draining Fuel tank when you discover its leaking ☹️

Tim