Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma engine - Locking the crank in order to remove the front pulley

oldbutnotslow

Where do you lock the crank on a Sigma engine in order to remove the front pulley?

The usual space used to lock the flywheel via the ring gear teeth on a K doesn't seen to be available on a Sigma engine

On production Fords there is a pin that you insert close to the N/S drive shaft that fits in a hole in the crank

I need to know if I am going to change a cam belt.

Is there a correct torque for re tightening or is it just FT?

Thanks

Grant

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 22 Aug 2014 22:48:42

I did this last winter, and it wasn't straight forward.

There is a timing pin which screws into the block near the front OS but this just stops the engine at tdc.

I bought a tool that fits the starter mount, but removing the starter is a pain.

Once the crank is locked, the cams are held with a plate through slots in the back, but you will find it doesn't fit the inlet cam slot as Caterham have retarded the timing. I took photos and reset it using the timing plate and by eye and my engine runs just the same. If you contact Caterham they just tell you to come in and they'll set it (for a price). Apparently you can't buy a Caterham tool to set the cam timing.

Email me if you have questions, I'm no expert but so far the engine runs well *smile*

By the way change the water pump at the same time.

Duncan

Edited by - DJ. on 23 Aug 2014 09:29:32

The lower timing belt cover needs to be removed to change the belt, and the pulley needs to come off to access it. I did wonder about leaving mine off but we have so many loose stones on the roads around here, I decided to play safe.

Duncan