Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailer security - the bits inside

andy bell

i searched on threads and didnt really find anything about securing the bits inside the trailer. For example i have a jerry can holder and a tyre rack in my BJ clubman converted trailer. So far I have used the 'trust' based way of track day - as in trust nobody is gonna nick anything....

My thinking is a padlock on jerry can box but given its a trackday everyone have screwdrivers so could just unscrew the hingers. Other option was drill hole in side of holder and pass a securing cable through it.

For tyres could get a big motorcyle type cable and make sure its secured to something thats not easily removed.

Now i understand not usually away from trailer for 15 minutes so what do others do - trust or paranoia?

blimey *eek* are track days that bad , I've only done them with the club and you are more likely to go home with more stuff than you started with due to the generosity of club members.

Not sure I would want to go to a day when someone is liable to jemmy open a padlocked can holder 😔

One always thinks the best of everyone at a race meeting and possibly a track day etc, I have lent torque wrenches, spanners etc and all have been returned. But I have heard of other events I know of a team who had a full set of flat floor scales and turn plates taken from the flat patch from Brands Hatch pits while there backs were turned *evil*

Quoting nickh7: 
blimey *eek* are track days that bad

Not sure I would want to go to a day when someone is liable to jemmy open a padlocked can holder 😔

Yes, they can be and it can happen at 'club days' too.

If I ever lend tools out I usually ask for a security - a watch or something I know they will want back - return the items and get your security item back. Never failed me yet.

Just to clarify I have done lots of trackdays and never had an issue but always in back of my mind there is the opportunist that fancies nicking something. And I have always found people super helpful and nice when it comes to tools.

motorcycle chain probably a good idea I guess to stop the true opportunist

On most open trailers you can have a long nylon coated wire cable which passes though the centre of the rack full of wheels with a padlock on the end get one of those from Brian James Trailers for piece of mind