Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Multimeter

Alan Reeves

anyone at the next surrey or mid sx meets who would like to explain the use of a Multi Meter, I would be grateful. I do have one but thats as far as it goes.

I was on the Goodwood blat on saturday and at the end I realised that my indicators didnt work, prompted when I had a large angry auto honking me !

I checked the fuse and it looks ok but after changing it it cured the problem so I assume the fuse was blown. I want to check it but here lies a lack of talent.

What would make it fail?

ta alan

There's nothing like face-to-face instruction, but while you're waiting:

* What model have you got?

* Do you have the dud fuse still?

The first two things you need to learn are how to measure voltage* and continuity.

Switch it to voltage on a range that includes 12V DC. Stick one probe on one battery terminal and the other on the other. What does it say?

I'll get to continuity when we know what sort you have.

An indicator fuse blowing once might just be bad luck but if it does it again you need to investigate as soon as possible. (At least according to Oscar Wilde. Ian Fleming allows one more go.)

Jonathan

* I know, but I'm trying to help.

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 19 Aug 2014 18:10:44

There's plenty on the web on how to use one..here.Buy a cheap one and play around with it..Watch out when you measure current as sure as eggs are eggs you will blow the internal fuse,

I use only Flukes at work as I need to measure RMS voltage on high power valves and monitor voltages over a period if time but they are blinking expensive and they will last a lifetime. here

Steve

• Leadership Team

Quoting Paul Deslandes: 
Lidl have a reasonable multimeter on special at the moment ("Once they're gone, they're gone!") for £8.99. Not the best but well featured and good value for money. Also claims to measure AC current if that's of use to you - quite unusual.

Thanks for this. I picked one up today. As you say, not the best, but great for basic car stuff.

Hmm. The '101' (as the Americans would probably call the introduction) would need to start with which sockets on the multimeter to stick the probe leads in...

There is generally a different socket/socket pair for voltage/resistance than for current.

99% of the time, you'll want the default that will measure dc voltage, continuity and resistance - so accidentally trying to measure these things using the alternative socket(s) will fail...