Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Electrical quickie

Grandmaster Flatcap

What's the preferred technique for sealing a chunky connection that has fairly-modest wires leading to it? E.g. Some kind of inline component - or maybe *redface* just a bodge of stacked spade connectors?

Heatshrink big enough to contain the component/bodged connector generally won't be able to shrink down enough onto the wires themselves.

I did have to bodge something at the weekend this way (and kinda crimped the ends of the heatshrink with pliers) but also have some legitimate challenges along these lines!

I've had various challenges of this type, usually around test leads. The major risk is usually around flexing of the wire at the point closest to the joint. In most cases a small in-line box or housing of some description, particularly if it has it's own cable clamp is the best solution. Failing that I have been successful using soldered or spade joints, protecting them with multiple layers of heat-shrink of gradually increased diameter to a significant point beyond the joint, thus providing support to the delicate cables.