Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing spare wheel carrier - help needed!

finmac

The no plate light cable is threaded thro the tube of the spare wheel carrier and needs to end up coming out thro the hole in the centre of the rear panel.

Problem is how I get access to it from the boot floor - which is alloy and siliconed in place or from below - alloy plate is visible (presumably fuel tank is above this)?

Advice please!! ☹️

THE ONLY SE7EN IN THE HEBRIDES!

I had the same problem and decided this was a better solution.

Cut the tube with a pipe cutter and leave a about a quarter inch of tube for fitting the spare wheel carrier if required. Purchase a couple of walking stick ends from B and Q. They fit perfecty. Feed the number plate wire out of the end of the tube (underneath the stick end) and attach with fastners to the tube running along the base of the chasis . Attach the number plate light to the same tube on the base of the chasis so the light now faces upwards and connect the wire. Position the number plate immediately above the light with velcro fastners so it is now positioned between the tube ends. Perfect. The hole left over in the centre of the panel can now be covered. I used a small stick on carbon disk that Halfords sell but you can use a Caterham cricular badge. Of course if you want to reattach the wheel carrier the wire is still the correct length and only needs reattaching to a spare number plate light on the carrier leaving the resited light in place.

where does the wire go into the tube 🤔 i assume its just at the chassis end of the tube. can you just pull it through, fit a connector on the end and tape in place 🤔

Then put a suitable connector on the light on the carrier and another connector on a new numberplate light. when you fit the light ot the spare wheel Y-bracket holder you can pass the wire through the hole and plug nito a short piece of wire from boot to the connector under the fuel tank. To fit this wire you'll need to make a small hole in the silicon and then drop the wire through here and down the back of the tank.

Does that make sense 🤔

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

finmac,

I went more or less the same route as Heavenly and it works very well. If you do want to mount the light above the number plate( and feed the wire through the boss) I think that you can just about manage it with the drivers side rear wheel off as the boss is just above the top of the fuel tank. It looked a messier solution IMHO as the wire run is longer and you have to figure a decent way to mount the number plate light.

MikeW

1600 VX Black/Ali

Membership No 6582

Thanks guys.

I would prefer the light above the plate around the boss hole but

Hoopy

You lost me with the wiring explanation! - I get the bit about disconnecting the wire at the existing holder and pulling it back thro the chassis tube. So can you expand on getting the cable from the chassis tube up to the new no plate light location at the boss.

many thanks!!

THE ONLY SE7EN IN THE HEBRIDES!