Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electrical terminal crimpimg tool

Nigel Riches

Starting into the re-wire of the engine install, got a nice fresh loom for the ECU (Emerald K3), need some info about which tool to use for the small terminals at the injectors, temp probes, ignition, etc.

I contacted Emerald, and the tool they use daily is only 115 GBP, so I won't be buying one of those.

No shortage of tools out there, I was quoted $134 NZ for a tool I later found on "tinernet for only $27 USD, but does this do a decent job?

So anyone been down this road, recommend suitable tools.

Thanks, Nigel.

Don't be tempted by one of these. I bought one last week (at £17 *mad* ) and it's rubbish. You can sort of get it to work but I mashed up a few terminals along the way. Buy cheap buy twice, I'll never learn! *rolleyes*

Oh dear, Moz! I think I might have ordered one of those from another supplier on Sunday acre being berated by some of the Cam7 electron-herders for using a Leatherman to crimp SureSeal pins while rewiring my rear lights...

Oh well!

I've already got a decent crimping tool for insulated spade etc. connectors - was hoping this would complete my toolbox...

I rewired my rear lights with new connectors a couple of years ago and was fortunate enough to be able to borrow one of these from work. A little extravagant for occasional home use though!

I found the ebay one struggles to form good crimps on the strain relief part, I think because the dies are poorly made. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a better die. It'll do for the odd repair job but if I was rewiring I'd upgrade.

I'll wait and see what turns up. Looks like an identical kit from the pictures, but that's no guarantee.

Shame it's the stress-relief ( insulation grip) bit that is at fault - I did a pretty good job on the conductor crimps but a lousy one on the insulation ones using my Leatherman...

Thanks for the replies.

Just had a look through Vehicle Wiring Products catalogue, seems to cover all the items I need, including the older type pvc wiring.

So a few more hours in the garage sorting a list will see the project moving ahead all be it slowly, well its cold out there this time of year ☹️

Regards, Nigel.

VWP is expensive. Not so much their products, which are in general very good value, but because you inevitably forget one vital item, meaning you have to put in another order, and in order to spread that £3.95 postage more evenly you feel obliged to order several extra things you didn't really need. Or maybe that's just me...

Well, I got my crimping tool through the post today.

It's this one here

If that link doesn't work, it's one sold by xieshu2010 for £18.99

It took me ages to work out which set of jaws I needed to use for the Sureseal pins - and even longer to work out how to place the pins in the jaws so that they crimp the correct bits (good'old insulated spade terminals are a breeze in comparison).

Anyway, after mangling the first attempt, I sussed it - and the crimps worked perfectly. The key seemed to be to put the pin in the jaws and start the crimp only so far as to get the jaws to just hold the pin. I could then poke the wire (complete with rubber grommet) into the receiving end of the pin and complete the crimp.

The rest of the jaws look ok and the tool as a whole is almost identical to the insulated-terminal-only one I've had for years - so this one will live in my touring toolkit, I think.

I can't recall what type of connector the headlamps have - but with six jaw sets, you should be able to do most things if you have fresh pins/terminals.

I seem to remember that the struggle was getting the wires through the middle of the headlamp supports - I'm not sure that that bit will be much easier, but it's a decade since I last tried...