Click here if you are having website access problems ×

PVR25 battery and issues with Ctek

Mike Eamer

Mornign All,

I have a CTek 4003 conditioner and recently changed over to a PVR25 battery about 6 months ago.

The ctek had worked perfectly with the old banner battery but I have been having issues with the PVR.

When the battery was new it would sometimes take 3 or 4 attempts at resetting the Ctek before it would settle into a proper charge, usually after 30min or so it would trip out and show the red error light. It seems to manage the intial charge stage but when it goes into "rest and measure" stage it trips out... I thought it might have been the parasitic drag of the immobiliser?

I managed to get around this by disconnecting the earth lead when the car was parked up and the Ctek seemed a lot happier.

Now even with the earth removed, the C-tek is still not happy and gives an error message. I read the AGM batteries can be hard to charge and it can help to use the "frost/cold" setting on the charger, but this does not work either.

When the ctek is used on a Banner battery on the other caterham the Ctek still works perfectly.

The PVR has never been run flat and always kept topped up.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Mike

I think I've been shot down for saying this before, but I'm sure I've read that gel batteries shouldn't be charged / conditioned (or maybe only certain devices are capable of charging such batteries).

Anyhow, that to one side - why are you charging / conditioning the battery in the first place? If you can remove any parasitic load (alarm) whilst the car is stored either using an FIA cutoff key or by disconnecting the battery terminals then a gel battery will not lose any of its charge (I used an FIA cutoff and parked my car up for several months - battery was fine and car fired up first time). If you have flattened a gel battery, my understanding is that they cannot be resurrected and are scrappers.

Great link - thanks James. Yes, I was (maybe somewhat lazily) categorizing a battery that wasn't lead acid as gel, when in fact it is an AGM *redface*

My other point still stands (I believe) - if you can isolate the parasitic load then the battery will not need to be conditioned / charged.

My 7 lives in a garage and is often left, stationary, alone, unused but still loved for several weeks at a time. I think that it is kinder on its little sealed lead-acid non-gel battery to have a friendly conditioning charger connected all the time than not.

Vespa ditto.

Jonathan

I have a CTEK Multi XS 3600 and it works fine with my PVR25 Powervamp. Could there be a fault with your charger?

One of the best mods I did though was install a proper battery master switch which totally isolates the battery. The Powervamp seems pretty good at holding its charge for a long time if not being drained by the immobiliser.

M

thanks for the replies, seems I have an issue bespoke to me!

I had the conditioner on it due to the alarm draining the battery. This was on the old car and that is now for sale so I wont be doing anything to that now.

The new car has an FIA switch (which incidentally caused me to NOT go on a blat on Sunday morning as it failed and left me stuck all belted up with no-where to go....) so this may mean that my issue goes away as it wont need to be kept on a conditioner...

Once the new car makes it into the garage I'll see if the charger wants to work with the PVR that is fitted to that car... if not it seems its no big issue with an FIA switch fitted.

Thanks

Mike