Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help .... tube for extracting oil from 5-speed gearbox

Going purely from memory, mine had a narrow cork gasket; I don't recall any issue with sealant or goop to fall into the box - do cork gaskets normally use sealants?. (That's with the regular pressed steel cover.)

I subsequently replaced it with an alloy one (the cover that is, from James Whiting, I think) with a threading for a breather - which is also of a big enough diameter to fill it through and (just about) suck most of the oil out if necessary. Getting all of the screws out is the fiddly bit.

ps

of all the things that could distract me from watching a bike race - it's a gearbox gasket…!

Edited by - tony pashley on 10 Aug 2014 16:39:42

Edited by - tony pashley on 10 Aug 2014 16:40:35

No, but ten years after BGH fitted their custom top-cover (with dip stick) without explicit authorisation from me, I was finally glad of it last week when I was able to extract all the oil and refill through the dipstick *smile*

Did you figure it out in the end Ian?

I once popped the top off the 2CV gearbox and a ball bearing whistled past my face! Caught me by surprise. Fortunately the box turned out to be dead anyway but I now have a fear of such things!

P.s. Do you have a hole in the side skin for easy access?

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 10 Aug 2014 18:28:20

It would be so much easier if a drain plug was fitted on the 5 speeder.

I suppose they reckon it isn't needed as the oil doesn't degrade as unlike engine oil, it isn't exposed to the combustion process.

The job I hate most is checking & topping up the gearbox oil on the 7. *mad*

If Ian can prove it works sucking the oil out from the cover plate, I might do it one day otherwise the oil is in there until the box comes out of the car.

Thanks all.

Job done.

I look like I have been fighting with a basket of kittens ..... reaching under bulkhead to undo the bilts for the top plate ..... what a battle ! Thanks Phil for giving me the confidence *thumbup*

There is a flat under the gearbox ... looks like a place for a drain ?

Can't make a hole in the tunnel side wall as I have a diagonal chassis member right beside the fill plug ! 9

Well done. *thumbup*

Top tip I got from Richard Young a couple of years ago....the gear shift was becoming sticky & pushing down for reverse was impossible on my car.

I placed some newspaper under the car & poked the spout of an oil can down the gear stick gaiter & gave it a good soaking of duck oil.

This instantly freed up the sticky selector & has been perfect ever since. *biggrin*

Quoting SM25T: 

My latest gearbox has this modification. I used a Peugeot/Citroen magnetic drain plug from an MA gearbox. Can't remember the exact thread size. The other side of the flat is the standard magnet, which needs to be removed. There's not that much material thickness, but enough for the plug to be wound in a few threads and I've used a dowty seal plus PTFE tape. Not done a full leak test yet as its sat on the garage floor, but it's torqued up to 25nm fine and I will be using a vented top cover anyway.

Just refilled my 6speed using a length of clear soft PVC tubing with a small funnel at the top.

Used a length of welding rod about 8" long with a 90 degree 1.5 " bend at one end pushed inside the tube to enable entry into the fill hole.

Job done in 30minutes.

Quoting Mankee: 
Quoting SM25T: 

My latest gearbox has this modification. I used a Peugeot/Citroen magnetic drain plug from an MA gearbox. Can't remember the exact thread size. The other side of the flat is the standard magnet, which needs to be removed. There's not that much material thickness, but enough for the plug to be wound in a few threads and I've used a dowty seal plus PTFE tape. Not done a full leak test yet as its sat on the garage floor, but it's torqued up to 25nm fine and I will be using a vented top cover anyway.

BGH will fit a drain plug in this area. One of the best modifications I have done to the car.

I have drilled and tapped the flat part with the gearbox in situ, with the g.box oil still in the box I drilled a 6.5mm hole to accept a M8 bolt. When the oil runs out of the hole it will take all swarf that might be left with it. Even when you tap the tread there is no swarf coming in the engine.

Quoting SM25T: 
I look like I have been fighting with a basket of kittens ..... reaching under bulkhead to undo the bilts for the top plate ..... what a battle !
The backs of your hands will heal... or at least mine did.

Does anyone still supply top plates with tubes?

Jonathan