Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Er...is this a coolant/radiator leak?

Silverback

Lovely long blat this evening to meet friends and his 1969 Mustang.

Took the bonnet off to show him my 'very small block' and noticed white spots of some fluid leak that I had not seen before - on hoses and expansion bottle in this picture.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y482/mlarbey/A%20new%20R400%20finds%20a%20happy%20home/7CCEBCDD-6B4C-4B8D-A407-21311D7C3C46_zpsqxksnovm.jpg

I checked the hoses and the expansion bottle and couldn't see anything obvious but what I didn't check was the radiator itself?

Thoughts?

Edited by - Silverback on 9 Aug 2014 23:36:53

Same here.

I've had my fair share of leaks from hoses, radiators, expansion-caps etc. - can be hard to trace as you only need a tiny amount to splatter the inside of the bay as you have done.

Clean it off and go and try again!

Thanks everyone, yes coolant bottle is my thought as well although nothing obvious round the thread or cap.

Have cleaned up and will run again (but not today - see below) as want it nice and ready for trackday in a few weeks...

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y482/mlarbey/A%20new%20R400%20finds%20a%20happy%20home/9F8C7F54-6F3E-4CB7-BBCE-744D151E4D98_zpstquck5aa.jpg

Now's a good time to jump onto ebay and buy a couple of caps from Rover Spares (or whoever).

If your c is starting to go, you don't want to have your Trackday cut short by it - or to devote 10% of your concentration on checking the gauges every other second.

Buy two as they are not considered bullet-proof - back in the day, I remember the Rover parts desks would send you round to the workshop to pressure-test the caps as they were a bit hit and miss...