Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Accident waiting for the Ferry home, what to do?

ChrisC

Hi All

My Black Forest trip has ended with an Italian reversing into my front wheel at Calais hard enought to bend my wing stay and rip crack the cycle wing. It's no longer bonded to the wing stay at the bottom. It was hard enough to push me a foot sideways.

So rip the wing off and drive the 2hrs home from Dover, or is it recovery time? I can't see any suspension damage, but it don't feel right as I put it on the ferry?

Edited by - ChrisC on 9 Aug 2014 20:08:58

Personally if it shoved you a foot sideways I would go for recovery until you can check out the suspension fully. 2hrs at motorway speed and the possibility of something breaking is not worth it.

My sympathy on the damage. Black Forest is great for blasting though *thumbup*

Don't fret about the cycle-wing - I lost one on a week-long tour some years ago when the powdercoat let go and continued with mo problems, even in the wet.

Lots of things to check with the suspension though. As long is nothing is broken, the tourers and the racers would 'simply' adjust the control-arms and top-link to get the wheel pointing in roughly the correct direction and then take it easy home. If that's out of your league or comfort zone, recover.

Sorry for late update - Home safe, just very late due to dartford tunnel traffic.

The suspension feels different, but actually feels fine. I can't put my finger on what feels different, but there is someone.

Unfortunately I am working today, so I won't be able to jack it up with the nose off until tonight to see if anything else is bent (apart from the wing stay).

Then I guess its a phone call to the insurance company.

Lasting memory of that holiday was a big Italian waving his arms in the air shouting in true stereo typical way, and flicking my half detached cycle wing saying "its nothing" ☹️