Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff oil

robmar

whilst my petrol tank is out I am planning on checking my diff oil level as it is a lot easir to do than when the tank is in...

I have some diff oil left in an already opened bottle from the build (18 months ago) which has been sat on the shelve doing nothing, would it be ok if I need to top it up to use that, or should I stop being a tight git and get some new oil.

rob *smile*

Use it!

Fluids such as brake fluid can absorb water, so that has to be treated with some caution. And some spirit based fluids will evaporate. Oil is ...1000's of year old already !!

My dads old Morris 10/4 had a noisy diff, so some grease and sawdust was added. It went quiet !! (but only lasted another year or so 😳)

Rob

It would be easier with the tank out but not essential. Jack the car on the chassis allowing the dedion tube ot drop, this will give you easier access to the filler plug (10mm Allen Key)

Oil on the shelf assuming the bottle was sealed should be fine

Mark

thanks for the replies, it terms of sealed I put the screw top lid back on *wink*

Mark - yep I know you can do it with the tank it, but it is SO much easier withit out 😬 which is why I was going to check, I have no reason to suspect it needs topping up as it was checked out after it blew the breather out and some oil at atrack day 15 months back

rob

Guys,

Do you need a special oil for the ZF LSD diff or will the standard Comma EP90 do?

I only ask because I am a little concerned about the occasional clonking from the diff at slow speeds when engaging/disengaging power...

Any thoughts appreciated!

Brian

Guys,

Do you need a special oil for the ZF LSD diff or will the standard Comma EP90 do?

I only ask because I am a little concerned about the occasional clonking from the diff at slow speeds when engaging/disengaging power...

Any thoughts appreciated!

Brian

I've topped mine up, lying under the car jacked up and on axle stands with a tube from the oil lid into the diff hole. What a nightmare and it's the most disgusting thing i've ever tasted, which is enevitable. It seems an imposible job without getting plastered in the stuff.

Andy Mac C7 GON

😬 Team Langoustine. Hard Core Prawn here 😬

Allegro

Next time take the boot floor out & do it from above - it makes the job much easier as you don't have to force the oil uphill.

Same thing when topping up the gearbox. Get a long tube, feed one end into the gearbox filler & the other end up into the engine bay, attach it to the bottle & let gravity work for you.

Mick

FWIW the best way to get oil into a diff is using a syringe.

Most (friendly) chemists will supply a large one (without needles) and a piece of rubber tubing does the rest.

Those interested ( 🤔) can then see, and record, how much oil they have added.

Dave M

Note - my dad (just come in the room ) reckons that the easiest way is to get the man at the garage to do it. He's missing the point I think.