Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure gauge gone ballistic

Big Bad Baz

After changing the regulator on the alternator, I've put everything back together and noticed that the oil pressure gauge leaps right round to its highest point (ie off the scale) as soon as the ignition is switched on.

Have I disturbed something whilst fiddling with the alternator - and if so, where do I look?

• Leadership Team

You'll probably get some more detailed advice in a moment, but a charging problem and a gauge issue would point to a bad earth to me. Your manual should indicate where the earthling points are and worth checking that all connections are tight and corrosion free. Probably worth loosening them off and using a bit of emery paper to clean the connectors up as a precaution anyway?

Michael.

The senders for the electric oil pressure gauges act as a variable resistance path to earth, with less resistance (i.e. passing more current) corresponding to a greater deflection of the needle (i.e. higher pressure). If it is flying right over to full deflection it suggest a short circuit from the sender wiring directly to earth rather than a "bad earth" as such - more of a good earth where there shouldn't be one! Check that you haven't trapped the wires for the oil pressure sender (just below the alternator!) whilst refitting things.

OK, you clever buggers, it does seem that I've un-located a wire:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/Sciroccology/Sciroccology004/DSC_0200_zps4f48f16f.jpg

But where the hell is it supposed to go? I can't see any obvious connectors it may have come from.

http://www.revilla.plus.com/Oil%20Pressure%20Sensor%20Wire.jpg

There sound be a sensor of some kind screwed into one of the ports on the oil filter housing, probably with a spade terminal on it, just off the bottom of your picture. I know some people mount them remotely with a short section of tube to isolate them from vibration, however looking at the length of that wire it can't be far away! You will need to fit a corresponding female terminal to the wire and plug it back on 😬

Found it. Had to move the alternator again to get to it, but it seemed a fairly straightforward job.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/Sciroccology/Sciroccology006/DSC_0642_zps054dc5b3.jpg

Undo the little nut, remove the old connector, crimp a new connector onto the wire, re-attach and do up the little nut. Did all that, tightened up the little nut. Tightened it a bit more, and a bit more.

And then it snapped. Ended up having to solder the wire to what was left of the terminal. Seemed to work anyway - the oil pressure gauge was back to normal.

The ignition light, however, still refuses to extinguish itself. New alternator being delivered tomorrow *rolleyes*

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
I'd replace that soldered joint when it's convenient. I don't trust them in vibrating vehicles.

Agreed. I'm not the world's best solderer until ideal conditions, but this job was akin to wallpapering your hallway from outside, through the letterbox. I have a couple of nice burn blisters to testify to that.

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
PS: Have they delivered the multimeter yet?

Not yet.