Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox oil (quickly) and gear oil treatment?

Smithy77

Hi,

I've got a 5 speed K and it has a weeping prop shaft oil seal. I'm doing several hundred miles at the weekend and I wanted to check / top up the gearbox oil before I do. Anyone know where I can get some Redline MTL (or other suitable equivilant) by Saturday morning? If I can't get any of the good stuff by the time I go, would anyone advise against using some of Halfords best as a temporary top up until I get the seal sorted?

Anyone had any experience of Advantage Motorsport? They seem competitively priced and many reviews speak of quick delivery...

One last thing, anyone had any experience of this stuff:

Geabox treatment

Wondering if it could actually stem my leak until I get round to sorting it?

Thanks for listening *smile*

Edited by - Smiffy7 on 6 Aug 2014 22:45:01

Wot he said *arrowup*

Redline MTL is a recommended oil for the 6 speed boxes but some of the preferred gearbox refurbishers hate the stuff.

Couple of points - the output shaft is pretty high up so the majority of the oil will stay in the box. Also how big is the leak? A couple of spots when you park up isn't a big deal.

It is good practice to check the oil level as part of the annual service and top up as necessary.

Ian

Thanks for the advice!

The leak must only be a couple of drops over night i guess, and it's good the seal is high up. It's been leaking nearly a year at least. I also have a possible leak from the speedo sensor, but could be run off from the prop so hard to tell.

I know the gearbox is 2-3 years old, any reason for premature prop shaft seal failure? Or is that normal for a seven? 😬

The prop one is easily damaged when installing the engine and box as you've usually got the lot swinging about on a winch as you align / insert the prop.

Over the years I've had 3 rebuilt items leak from new (2 diff input shaft seals and speedo drive) - guess I'm just unlucky!! Got 2 to deal with this winter along with the dry sump tank leaking at the o ring. Should have brought a crossflow 😬

Ian

There are several reports of seal failure and of leaks from other problems.Try searching the archives for "prop shaft oil seal".

If you're worried about needing to check the level and fill up while you're away consider creating access through a hole in the transmission tunnel.

Jonathan

Judging from the pictures you sent me of the underside of your transmission tunnel it looks as though the builder has incorporated access holes for various bits, you may well find there is already a convenient access hole for the filler under your carpet.

I have reserved some of the Comar oil from halfords and will check and top up the oil before the weekend I think. I don't think it is leaking anywhere near enough to warrant checking over any given weekend trip, just need to check every so often for piece of mind.

Andrew, you're right there does appear to be some access holes but I think I'll just stick to the conventional method to save pulling off the carpet. I might still investigate what holes are there out of interest, but assuming there is one for the filler plug (which I think is towards the front on the box), I can't see how going head first down the passenger footwell would be any less akward *confused* 😬

I think changing the prop shaft oil seal will be my first winter job then *rolleyes*

See below pic of my gearbox as shown to Andrew. Where I have indicated a possible second leak, is the metal item inserted into the gearbox the speedo sensor/drive? I noticed I could freely rotate it with very little resistance - is this normal?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/pullpete/ScreenShot2014-08-04at132107.png

I can't see how going head first down the passenger footwell would be any less akward

Oh, but it is!

On my S3, there is very-little space between the drain plug and the chassis member. So little (from memory) that you might find it hard to get an Allen key in there.

It was certainly enough hassle for me that I cut a hole in the footwell - but then I don't have carpets.

Pics if my car in this regard are accessible here

Careful with speedo drive unit. The top hat flange is held in place only by a circlip. Hold the centre of it with long nose pliers and unscrew outer collar by hand to remove it. If top hat spinning freely, remove circlip and top hat. Clean oil and refit. Spread some loctite on face of top hat flange and refit circlip ... allowing to cure. Hold with LNP again and reattach sender.

if top hat turns freely it can cause wires to fail. Happened to me.