Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Separating upper and lower steering column

I'm trying to remove the lower steering column in order to get it re plated but it seems to have seized to the upper column. Obviously I've removed the clamp near the bulkhead and even dousing it in Plusgas and whacking the lip of the upper column doesnt seem to shift it. Anyone had this before? Is applying heat the only other option?

I can't remove it from the car due to its overall length.

Yep, happened to me a few weeks ago. Is it a quick release or standard upper column?

Assuming you have a tillet seat stopping you getting it out through the dash, easiest way would be to remove the seat so it could be then be removed this way. If it's a quick release it'll slide straight out. If it's a standard upper column, use a ratchet strap round the steering wheel centre and the roll bar to pull it and the dash column bush out.

Regards,

Giles

Edited by - Klunk on 5 Aug 2014 12:15:28

Edited by - Klunk on 5 Aug 2014 12:20:30

Yes Giles, quick release upper column and Tillet seat is preventing removal from dash, well guessed!

I suppose its time to remove Tillet grrrr.

It's not all bad - I remember a thread on here years ago where people were having trouble with the sliding/collapsible joint coming loose repeatedly! - I suppose Sod's law says that when you eventually want to take it apart it will have seized. While you have the top part of the column out if there is any play in the bushes the column runs in it is worth replacing them, but only IF you are feeling brave as it's an 🙆🏻 of a job.

That's definitely the easiest way, although I got mine out by undoing the outer upper column at the scuttle. However, mine has been cut so doesn't connect at the dash end. I'd take the seat option as it's the easiest in the long run.

Enjoy,

Giles

I dont know why I hadn't thought of loading on full lock to see if that freed it. *thumbup* It really does feel steadfast though but still well worth a try. I'll try that first, try some heat and if all else fails, I'll loosen the Tillet.

Cheers all!

Update 😬 steering shaft now out, had to loosen tillet and then took them apart using a vice etc. anyway, that's the good news but the bad is the shaft is slightly bent! Worth taken to get straightened or just get a new one?

No damage done to face 😶‍🌫️

A new one is £47 but having just checked, it's only very slightly out of line and I guess that's what the uj is for. Uj is not completely smooth in its rotation, so I'll replace that as a matter of course.