Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Idle thoughts about a lighter flywheel

TomB

I have seen the lightened flywheel for the 1.4 K for £100 on Caterhams website. I have a engineer mate who is happy with helping me with this biggish job.

Is it as relatively simple as removing the engine & replacing the old fly wheel with the new? Is a new clutch needed? if it is I wont bother (yet!).

Is it even worth doing with the standard 5 speed box?

Is drivablity greatly compromised or improved?

Please can any one who has done this on a 1.4 k comment on the complexity & pitfalls of the surgery & whether it made a worthwhile difference to the car.

Its makes good sense to replace the entire clutch, the reason being the the AP uprated clutch has a much lighter cover plate and there is little point in replacing your flywheel for a lighter one and then fitting the heavy old standard clutch cover this is defeating your objective. Its also very bad practise to refit a part worn friction plate onto a new flywheel, it would never bed in correctly and will not transmit the torque that it should. I would also replace the CRB at the same time.

• Leadership Team

How would the lightweight 1400 flywheel feature when fitted to an 1800 engine. My 1400 to 1800 conversion is retaining the stock 1400 flywheel (with AP clutch) but obviously if I can get a benefit from the 1400 lightweight, I'll consider it.

Stu.