Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hydraulic clutch circuit sealant

Paul Deslandes

My external hydraulic clutch slave cylinder has developed a weep around where the hose coupling screws into the cylinder body. The thread is parallel not tapered so I don't think PTFE tape is the answer although I might be persuaded to give it a try. The mating surface of the cylinder is cylindrical (funnily enough) so a sealing washer of some sort won't work.

Is there a suitable sealant/thread lock that would do the trick? I suspect that's what was used previously and had lost its seal when I took the engine out recently.

Please don't tell me to revert to a cable, I don't want to *rolleyes*

Thanks

Paul

Hi Jonathan. Yes, it's definitely the thread as the coupling goes right through the cylinder sleeve. 542 is the only sealant I've found too, although I might consider an epoxy of some sort as that's what's been used to seal the bleed nipple adapter. If it was brakes I'd look for another solution but as the clutch is slightly less safety critical I can try a couple of options.

Paul

Paul,

I will check the number tomorrow night if you have not found a solution but I would try a loctite hydraulic sealant. Much like thread lock but specifically intended to seal threads against seeping fluids.

I use it on my dry sump fittings but equally at home on your nearest JCB.

Edit to add a quick google shows either 542 or 569. Can check which I use tomorrow.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by - Mavic82 on 3 Aug 2014 21:40:58

The Pirtek man wasn't able to help so I decided, as it's clutch not brakes, to make a conformal nylon washer that follows the curve of the cylinder and apply the Loctite 243 that I use for normal thread locking/sealing applications.

It tested okay under heavy foot pressure so I remain optimistic 😬

Thanks for inputs

Paul