Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA switch triggered, alternator dead?

Molecular--Bob

I have an FIA switch under the dash to stop battery drain, but because it wasn't for race use i never bothered to fit the ballast resistor. Today, my daughter caught it with her foot and triggered it as we pulled slowly into a roundabout. Huge pop from unburnt fuel in the exhaust and initial panic as we coasted to a stop and couldn't get the hazards to work, then spotted the turned switch, flicked it back to active and restarted. All seemed OK and had a play with an R1 in the bends so all good.

But,have i killed the regulator in the alternator? the ignition light seems to operate as normal, coming on, and then going out just over tickover. Is there anyway to test it? or do i just wait for the battery to go flat?

sounds as though you might have got away with it Bob, but I'd certainly fit the resistor in case it happens again. Likelihood is that some other load e.g. ECU or, better still, having the lights on, will have absorbed the transient. As has been suggested, stick a voltmeter across the battery and see that its goes up to 14V with the engine at above 2000rpm or so. Better that than being stuck with a dead car somewhere ☹️

I have a resistor fitted but I always turn the main headlights on before I turn the engine off to absorb any left over juice *smile*

Who's to say the resistor still works, only way to check is remove it and measure its 'resistance'