Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Immobiliser killed my car-at pub... Where is the fix please?

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Glad you're home safely.

Which fuse was it?

Jonathan

yea realised I forgot to post that on the blog... It was 2:30am with 4.5hours sleep since 7am Friday morning and still mildly hungover so I hope I can be forgiven *cool*

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 
Also might be worth checking with caterham but I read somewhere that the 10amp fuse that blew (fuel pump fuse??) needs to be replaced with a larger one to stop nuisance failure.
Does anyone know any more about this, and could they confirm if I should be using a higher rated fuse or not? I do have a spare indicator and will replace this and check for any shorting issues whilst replacing...

Images below:-

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0oTFxivdjbk/U95g40zHzKI/AAAAAAAABac/LIDW3agmWcA/s1600/IMG_6754.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Tgtwbkp-E4s/U95g5CwwJiI/AAAAAAAABag/bciLpYmwhR8/s1600/IMG_6755.jpg

Re-reading your latest update on your blog Daniel.

I am puzzled as to why tightening the braided hose connection on the front brake calliper should sort out a poor earthing issue to the indicator repeater. Does it not rely on an earth wire, mine does. Perhaps it's different with the new LED units but it seems strange. *confused*

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 
Re-reading your latest update on your blog Daniel.

I am puzzled as to why tightening the braided hose connection on the front brake calliper should sort out a poor earthing issue to the indicator repeater. Does it not rely on an earth wire, mine does. Perhaps it's different with the new LED units but it seems strange. *confused*

Yes sounds odd on the face of it but.... The cycle wing repeater is earthed to the cycle wing stay and that is earthed to the body skin via the calliper and brake line. As I've got the AP racing brakes and they are anodised callipers Simon at CC midlands said that this is common.

It's just a little irritating as when I fitted the repeaters, I purposefully lengthened the earth cable, heat shrunk it, fed it through the cycle wing so that it would get a decent earth. This was undone by CC at PBC/dismantling/rebuilding stage

My only issue now is this is more than just a dodgy earth connection as it's blowing the fuse *mad*

Quoting Roadracer1977: 
The cycle wing repeater is earthed to the cycle wing stay and that is earthed to the body skin via the calliper and brake line.
I don't understand this. Is there an earth cable from the brake line to the body?

Have you worked out which fuse blew? Fuel pump or ECU? If you tell us the model and position of the fuse I can look it up.

Jonathan

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
I don't understand this. Is there an earth cable from the brake line to the body?
No, the brake line from the calliper is the earth connection to the body. This is according to Simon at CC midlands.

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Have you worked out which fuse blew? Fuel pump or ECU? If you tell us the model and position of the fuse I can look it up.
Not yet, it's a 10AMP fuse 4th up from bottom of the fuse board. link to image of fuse box here

*thumbup*

The earth is indeed trough the caliper brake line, it's the only solid connection with the body. Caterham uses a scew to fix the earth cable on the cycle wing stay, the one I have seen was pretty long and I replace it with a pop rivet because of the risk of damaging the live wire. My guess is that this is what have happened to short the indicator repeater.

Quoting elie boone: 
The earth is indeed trough the caliper brake line, it's the only solid connection with the body. Caterham uses a scew to fix the earth cable on the cycle wing stay, the one I have seen was pretty long and I replace it with a pop rivet because of the risk of damaging the live wire. My guess is that this is what have happened to short the indicator repeater.
Ok cheers - I'll consider that *thumbup*. I've got a new indicator (hopefully) arriving today, to replace (purely out of caution) and will investigate where the issue is in the wiring.

Quoting elie boone: 
100% top marks Elie - this was the problem.

An update on the blog