Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wanted - Pic of K Series Engine Bay Drt Sump Plumbing

Krismuss

I'm looking for a clear image of the plumbing from a k series head cover, dry sump tower, mocal oil catch tank and remote catch tank if anyone has such a thing.

My plumbing's been mucked around with over the years and I can't seem to find a consensus opinion on how it should be, i.e. With/without plumbing from cam cover...

Thanks

Chris

Chris it wasn't changed this end so I suspect Ken had it set up as it was recommend by the engine builder.

I know mine was also different to standard Caterham and was the same as Dave Jackson's recommended set up at the time.

If I recall I had a small open filter on the rear can cover breather and a return pipe to the catch tank from the front breather.

I will look out some pics.

Cheers Simon, poorly worded on my part, not mucked up 😬 just different to others, though I've not yet seen two the same on my investigations!

Andy B added a breather from the cam cover into the mocal tank then diverted a hose from the dry sump tower into the bottom

I've diverted that last pipe back into the cam cover but it just doesn't look right! *confused* *smile*

Chris

Sorry no picture, but when I had TBs fitted I ran the system fully open to atmosphere. The cam cover (earlier type than shown in your picture) rear vent sucks cold filtered air from BS airbox via the back plate, the front vents to the catch tank. The tower top vents to the catch tank also. The catch tank vents under the car so, no fumes in the engine bay.

Absolutely no problems with excessive oil consumption, crankcase over pressure or vacuum, run mostly on track.

But there are different ways to do this.

Malcolm

John mine looks the same as yours (ooo-err missus!) with the exception of the tower top hose runs back into the cam cover now (where your blanked spigot is), this previously ran to the lowest catch tank (not the mocAl on the bulkhead). I don't think I've any more connections on the mocAl to run it there instead!

Thanks

Chris