Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recommissioning a cross flow - advice please

finmac

I will soon be starting to recommission a high spec 1995 cross flow that has not run for around 7 years. I wondered what bits to think about overhauling/checking etc as part of the process?

Its running twin 40 webers which are looking a bit tatty now plus I am concerned they may need an overhaul, any suggestions as to where to send them and likely costs?

Also its got a dry sump system, so i wondered about getting the pump overhauled?

Any advice/comments etc welcome!

Cheers

If the carbs were in good condition when mothballed, you probably don't need to do a huge amount. Remove all the jets and squirt a good blast of carburettor cleaner down all the drillings. You will likely find that the float chambers are completely empty so it is worthwhile removing the top covers and ensuring that the floats haven't jammed in the down position. If they have it will only take a gentle waggle to free them; put a little fuel in the float chamber to stop them jamming down again before you refit the covers. It's also worth removing & cleaning the filters from under the brass covers next to the fuel unions. That aside, you need to check for deterioration of the "O" rings under the jet cover screws and the condition of the flexible mounts between carbs and inlet manifold. It is possible that there may be seizure of the throttle pump mechanisms, but it's definitely worth seeing if they run before spending large amounts on a rebuild.

If the oil pump was in good condition when you stopped using the car, it will probably still be in good condition. It would be worth removing it from the engine and making sure that it turns freely by hand; if it does, it is probably no worse than it was when last used. Just make sure that the whole system is primed with fresh oil before cranking.

Quoting Roger King: 
If the carbs were in good condition when mothballed, you probably don't need to do a huge amount. Remove all the jets and squirt a good blast of carburettor cleaner down all the drillings. You will likely find that the float chambers are completely empty so it is worthwhile removing the top covers and ensuring that the floats haven't jammed in the down position. If they have it will only take a gentle waggle to free them; put a little fuel in the float chamber to stop them jamming down again before you refit the covers. It's also worth removing & cleaning the filters from under the brass covers next to the fuel unions. That aside, you need to check for deterioration of the "O" rings under the jet cover screws and the condition of the flexible mounts between carbs and inlet manifold. It is possible that there may be seizure of the throttle pump mechanisms, but it's definitely worth seeing if they run before spending large amounts on a rebuild.

If the oil pump was in good condition when you stopped using the car, it will probably still be in good condition. It would be worth removing it from the engine and making sure that it turns freely by hand; if it does, it is probably no worse than it was when last used. Just make sure that the whole system is primed with fresh oil before cranking.

Thanks very much Roger, interestingly, it's one of your engines that's in the car! I my be back with some more questions in due course if that's OK?! Cheers

• Area Representative

There's a very good pictorial guide on Weber DCOE overhaul in the August '14 issue of Practical Performance Car.

Rebuild kits (gaskets, O rings, float valves, filters, etc.) are not expensive and if memory serves mine came from an eBay seller by the name of Fast Road Cars.

Cruds

Edited to add - memory did serve and their current eBay listing is 200648345893. Cost is £15.97 per carb with free delivery.

Edited by - Crudders on 1 Aug 2014 08:56:45