Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Weep on Lower Dry Sump Hoses

So I got the car back from it's first service today, but I noticed some oil on the drive after a blat whilst putting the car back in the garage.

Jacked it up and one of the bottom dry sump hoses (or maybe both) have a thin film of oil on the red anodised part... Could this just be an overfill issue, as I've checked both nuts and they are secured properly?

Thanks...

just a bump to this thread with a couple of images.

Simon at Caterham midlands thinks this is just fluid left in the coarse thread of the raceline hose anodised nuts, but I'm not so sure - and the nuts are properly tightened too...

I dried the existing 'weep'

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IWwvDNHMBxg/U9fsaNNVbRI/AAAAAAAABTA/Fm-N42VrnZw/s1600/_DSC2772.jpg

then with a warm engine, went for literally 3 minute drive round the block and now they're like this:-

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mZVHURaD4Jw/U9fsZ94ll3I/AAAAAAAABS8/qxAGynij9m8/s1600/_DSC2773.jpg

any ideas will be welcome.

*wavey*

Edited by - Roadracer1977 on 29 Jul 2014 19:54:36

I had this, the hoses are a twat to line up on the take off fitting as they are a bit stressed. My guess is that the hose was not sat square on the take off fitting when the nuts were torqued up and hence they now weep a little , I loosed mine , took them off the fitting and cleaned with brake cleaner and then carefully refitted. Sorted.

I then only drained the oil via the gauze filter in the rear of the dry sump pan so as not to disturb them again.

I also see that a cable is tie wrapped to the block, this will chaff and result in a failier.

Thank you Dave.

I was thinking it maybe something like this but a bit of 'experience' in the matter was just what I was looking for.

I think I'll loosen them and re-torque as you suggest, but won't remove them completely.

*thumbup*

Can't make any definitive comments here because I don't have enough info on the manufacturer of the parts, but.............

In theory JIC fittings like this are to a common design standard, but in practice I have found that quality makes like Goodridge or Aeroquip are vastly superior in reliability. You can just attach one of the quality makes and know that it will not leak once tightened, whereas some of the cheap versions will not seal unless you waggle them during tightening to ensure that everything is nicely aligned.

It's a classic case of getting what you pay for. Of course, the above assumes that the weep is coming from the joint itself and not some other source.