Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Engine Management

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Anybody know what the wedge shaped box does, reffered to as the MFU, sited beneath the MEMS unit? Where does this fit in with the scheme of things if changing to an Emerald?

Additionally, what is involved to retro fit a Rover immobiliser? Is it available separately - I understand it is not integral with the MEMS unit? My car is an ex-race car therefore no immobilser fitted (as far as I know!)

Stu.

The MFU contains relays I think... anyway, you need not concern yourself if fitting an Emerald. It just works. Likewise the immobiliser. The Emerald will "learn" the code of whatever Rover immob you fit.

A Rover immob is not integral with the MEMS. In a Caterham it is found under the dash, behind the steering wheel. Haven't a clue how to wire it in, but it can't be hard. I've done some wiring under my dash this Winter and found it a piece of cake once I'd removed the scuttle. Easy job well worth doing.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

• Leadership Team

Thanks Nigel, definately no immobilser fitted then! I'll need to source a Rover unit and install it - ideally before converting to an Emerald to be sure everything functions fine.

Stu.

Stu, be careful about fitting a Rover immob with the standard MEMS. These are "matched" items and won't become compatible without the intervention of a Rover dealer. It would be easier to move to an Emerald first, get that working and then fit the immob because the Emerald can "learn" whatever Rover immob you use. This is all done with the software.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

I wouldn't bother with the Rover Immobiliser if you're going for an Emerald ECU,as has been pointed out in other posts on this subject,all it takes is for some wise tealeaf with an Emerald ECU to swap his out for yours,turn off the immobiliser option on the ECU and they're away.

Go for a Clifford or similar (I've got a Virtual Key 2) wire that in/get it fitted properly and the immobiliser works irrespective of whether its your ECU or some lowlife's.

This will not work with a MEMS however,as I understand it the MEMS needs the Rover immobiliser to work properly.

The Clifford is also a lot cheaper than a Rover immob. Replacement transponders are easily available and can be added and removed at home without dealer intervention.You can also do away with the ignition key and just use a switch.

Somebody's dad's shop sells them for a reasonable amount... *wink*

I'm curious... What makes the Clifford immob better than the Rover one, apart from the fact that it can't be defeated by the Emerald unit?

The Clifford is also a lot cheaper than a Rover immob.
Couldn't you get a Rover immob and plipper from a scrapyard? There's plenty of Rover cars at one of my local scrappies, although you're not allowed to trawl through the cars like we used to.

You can also do away with the ignition key and just use a switch.
You can do this regardless of choice of immob.

I agree that there is a potential loophole insofar as the Emerald allows you to disarm the immob, but you wouldn't need anyone else's M3DK to steal a Caterham. Just a PC with the software on and a cable. You can leave the existing Emerald in place for this. You then benefit from using the map already installed. This is why I think the M3DK ought to be password protected. If you can already do this, someone let me know how please.

You'd only need to carry your own M3DK if there is only a MEMS in the Caterham you are planning to steal, and then you're knackered if you've not got a compatible map, although there are plenty available... but then you're into deciding what engine spec blah blah blah... basically, if someone wants to nick your car, he will. Probably easier to push it onto a trailor regardless of security.

Re: "don't bother with a Rover immob if you use an emerald", - because the tea-leaf can swap his emerald for yours and stop the emerald looking for an immobiliser.

Surely this argument applies to rover MEMs too, cos with a suitable map the t-l could take out the MEMs and put in his emerald anyway?

C

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

OK,maybe I was being a little pessimistic but I'd rather that than assume noone is going to steal it.

On the other hand...how much is the Rover Immob.? £250? plipper is £50?

The complete Clifford VK2 (purchased at a reasonable rate from Julian's Dad's shop *wink* )was less than £90,its got 2 circuit immobilisation and if you do a good job of hiding the points you wire it in to,it would seem to be a lot more difficult to bypass.

(can the emerald really have it's Immob cct turned off so easily? I haven't got the manual to hand but surely the ECU has to be in synch with the immobiliser before you can turn that option off,that's why I said you would have to have another ECU with the option already off for it to be a straight swap.)

Yep, the Emerald can do as indicated. It learns whatever Rover immob you connect to it and then you can do your bidding. This is why I believe access to the Emerald ought to be password protected. I'll see what Karl says about that when I next see him in March.

One point if an Emerald has it's immob function enabled then it can only be disabled by connecting it to the same Immobiliser. On tother hand if its not enabled it will work provided you have the same map and the bugger starts it then can learn the new immobiliser settings . I think we need a dose of realism here, just what are the chances of someone wanting to steal your car,

a) knowing it has an Emerald

b) having another Emerald

c) having a compatible map

I think if your car has already got a Rover immobiliser thats the way to go If on tother hand it has no immobiliser than you pays yer money and takes yer chances.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.